Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righty ho, here I go.

My gorgeous old girl Katie has to go in to get 3 lumps removed this Thursday. :( One under each armpit and a larger one in her groin area (although they're not big-big yet, because Katie is now 2 years old, I want to get them removed sooner rather than later)

ANYWAY! My vet doesn't like giving post op pain meds. They give a shot immediately post op which they say will keep the pain at bay, but of course, it's going to be short lived. Now, Katie is quite a small rat, and where as I usually I will use a cone to stop them chewing at their stitches, I'm going to try as hard as I might to not put Katie through that (as she'll be swallowed by the thing!)

I WILL be asking my vets for pain meds for her, but I can't force him to give me any. So what I'm going to do is take in a bandage and some bandage tape and ask them to 'sausage' her while she's still a bit drowsy. (I figure if I take it in myself, they won't argue as much) If they won't give her the pain meds, at least I can say I've stopped her mobility enough so she can't chew!

I still don't want her to be uncomfortable though. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I may be able to do, to help relieve her pain a little? Baring in mind I'm in the UK.

Thanks guys, I find your advice priceless

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
If they won't give you metacam as pain relief you can buy Children's or Infant's Motrin and that is pain relief as well as the anti-inflammatory of ibuprofen. Its great in a pinch if not quite as effective as prescription meds. I can help you figure out what dosage to look for ;)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Ration1802 said:
Oh gosh...not more dosages! LOL Do you have a few hours to spare?! :p

I don't know if we have Motrin here, but perhaps something like below is a UK equivalent?

http://www.assetchemist.co.uk/Product_Details.php?product_id=640165
This might work well...
http://www.assetchemist.co.uk/Product_Details.php?product_id=819307

Its 20 mg/ml (100 mg/5 ml)which is the standard for the Motrin.

from our beloved ratguide.com

15 mg to 60 mg/lb q4h; PO (low dose for analgesia, high dose for anti-inflammatory effect. 3 20
Considerations
# Give with food to avoid GI reactions.

# Use with caution in renal and hepatic insufficiency.

# Care should be taken if giving to a rat where liver and/or renal impairment is thought to be present.
# *Note: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines may mask clinical signs of infection. It is often recommended , if deciding to use NSAIDS or steroids in rats long term, to add a broad-spectrum antibiotic as part of the treatment regimen.
# Ibuprofen (like other medications of similiar characteristics) should be discontinued prior to any type of surgery, in rats, due to mild interference with clotting.

Does this help?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After much effort (which you'll turn around and say, WRONG! to no doubt lol) I've worked out that using the sachets which come in 100mg packets

http://www.nurofenforchildren.co.uk/products/nurofen-for-children-sachets.php

I should give 0.45ml per 4 hours (but that seems a lot, doesn't it?)

She's 0.274kg which i've worked out is 0.604lb

I can forward my calcs if you'd prefer lol

No gold star for me this time, huh?

Thanks very much, I can always count on your genius XD

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Lets see 33 - 132 mg/kg...

The low for pain relief at 33 mg/kg and the 20 mg/ml does give me .45 ml's every 4 hours.

*gold star*!!!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*Punches air*

Hoo-RAH!!!!

I have a new internal mantra : 'I will become lilspaz's best student, I will become lilspaz's best student...

XD Thank you!

(You did confuse me a bit there, but then I realise you'd converted into kg and I stayed in lbs! See, at least I noticed! LoL)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Ration1802 said:
*Punches air*

Hoo-RAH!!!!

I have a new internal mantra : 'I will become lilspaz's best student, I will become lilspaz's best student...

XD Thank you!

(You did confuse me a bit there, but then I realise you'd converted into kg and I stayed in lbs! See, at least I noticed! LoL)
HAHA...your welcome!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts