Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Bijou had her tumor removal and spay surgery on Tues (12/2) she's been acting much more cuddly. I expected this to happen the night after and maybe even the day after while the anesthesia worked out of her system, but it hasn't changed 3 days later. She's normally a VERY active girl, always exploring and trying to wiggle out of my hands if I try to make her hold still for a second. She still seems perky and alert, not lethargic at all, but when I pick her up and hold her in a comfy way, instead of trying to climb down, she just will snuggle down and have a nap. I really love the cuddles, she's being such a sweet girl, and will spend even an hour sleeping snuggled up with me and then waking up and giving me kisses, having a groom, and then snuggle down and nap again. But I'm concerned since it's so unlike her personality normally. She still likes wandering around when I let her (but not too much since she's still healing) but when I hold her, she wants to cuddle and nap together. She's been in a hospital carry crate away from her family so she's been alone the last couple days. She's visited with the other rats, but didn't seem excited to see them, more annoyed that they were clamoring all over her. Do you think she's being so cuddly because she's lonely and likes the companionship? Or should I be worried that my active girl is now a hard-core cuddlebug?

At least it's given me some wonderful pictures to cherish. :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Iris was very sweet after her surgery. When the pain stopped she mostly returned to normal but without the pain of a tumor and hormones her sweetness stayed and she mellowed out a lot.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Mine just had a hernia surgery yesterday. She was cuddly and sweet BEFORE the surgery and now she is the complete opposite. I think maybe they respond to pain in their own unique ways. Is she on pain medicine? Maybe yours is a bit drowsy from it.

I'm sure she'll go back to her old usual self when she feels better!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That could be it then, if it's hormonal. She still seems active an perky, maybe a little less so, but she's SO much more snuggly and affectionate now. I'm not sure if this is permanent or temporary as she's healing. Would her hormones be changes so drastically so quickly? She was on pain meds for the first night and 2 days after, but I haven't given her any today. I don't think it's necessary. The only issue now is keeping the wrap on her since she's been picking a lot at the tumor incision and making it bleed. I think the way the wrap has to be is pushing on her sore insides and making it a little uncomfortable too, she squeaks when I poke a certain area just under the wrap. I probably won't give her any pain meds anymore unless something happens.

Nanashi, was Iris only sweet for a short while after the surgery? Or did it permanently change her to be more mellow?

Grotesque, I hope your girl feels better soon! I've also had rats that became very cranky after surgery or when they were in pain. I hope she feels better quickly and goes back to her sweet self.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When my boys were neutered they were definitely a little more cuddly and just slow and calm. They knew they had to be very careful so they just didn't move much. When they walked it was so weird cuz they walked all stretched out with their bellies like dragging on the ground. Idk why that would've helped...i though that would've made it worse in my opinion but apparently not. It was actually quite funny to watch them walk even though i felt bad for them being in pain. I'm sure she just wants her mommy cuz when you are in pain you get kinda scared and just need someone to cuddle you and reassure you, plus she probably isn't interested in moving much cuz it probably hurts to walk or run. I wouldn't be worried, as long as she seems fine with recovery signs, like her wound site and everything. Most likely she won't stay this cuddly unfortunately. So suck it in while you can. I would love for my babies to cuddle with me like that, except not for the reason you are going through of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts