Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Stressed out worrying about my boy today.

Muffin had his neutering surgery yesterday. I was hoping he would be a bit more active by this evening but he is just laying about and I don't think he has been drinking enough.
I have a bowl in the cage as well as a bottle, and I've tried offering a syringe and a spoon but he rejects it all. He had a couple of sips this afternoon but not enough.

He has been eating a little but only if I offer it where he lays. He had some mouthfuls of baby food and a few yogurt drops but not much else.

I also had a lot of trouble this morning trying to get his metacam dose in him. First tried to give a third of his dose orally but most ended up on dribbling out. He also rejected it mixed with food aside from a couple licks. I finally managed to give the rest orally but by that time I wasn't sure how much he'd already had so I'm worried he's not had enough. He's not doing owie stretches but he has been fussing with his wound.

Anyone experienced who can advise me or reassure me as to what's normal during recovery please?

He has an appointment at the vet but it's not until sat morning.

Many thanks,

Lara

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would call your vet ASAP. Usually they come home from being neutered acting fairly to completely normal. By the next day he should be completely back to normal. Since he's not, I'd be concerned he's in great pain and/or has had a reaction to the anesthesia. I would think your vet would want to see him today if he's acting like you've described. I hope you can call your vet right away if you haven't already done so. Please keep us posted! Thinking of you and Muffin and sending positive, healing wishes!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. It's 11pm here now and the vets are closed but I will ring first thing in the morning. He just got up and had a small drink of water but is back to laying down. Will try and offer a few different foods I've not tried yet in the meantime. Is there anything else I can do? It's going to be a long night for him :(

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is now a sudden change in behaviour, he has woken up and he is now desperately trying to find a way into the main part of the cage (which is separated by a partition floor above) I opened the door and before I could catch him he scaled the outside of the cage with a determination I've not seen all day. Still not drinking but had a few mouthfuls of yogurt and now he's wandering about having a good sniff of everything in his cage.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Muffin is still struggling and I'm feeling so stressed out.

He's lethargic, not grooming and his appetite is poor. He did drink something yesterday from both his bowl and his bottle so that's good.

The vet says he feels it could go either way at this stage - some rats just don't bounce back as they should. He's also concerned about the possibility that the lump we removed was cancerous and could have spread about his body and that might be why he's not doing so good.

I've been given more metacam and have been told to just keep trying to tempt him into eating throughout the day. I work during the week so if he's still not improved by Monday I can drop him off at the vets so they can try to get him eating throughout the day. (I live on my own in a city I've just moved to so I've noone here that can come mind him while I'm at work )

When we got home from the vet he had really bad diarrhea all over his wound which was tricky to clean, and making me worry even more about dehydration.

So far today he's had a yogurt drop, some links of yogurt and baby food from my fingers and a small piece of banana. This is an improvement over previous days.

I'm pretty much offering him anything and everything at this stage even if it's not the healthiest. Just trying to stimulate his appetite and get some energy into him.

My poor baby :(

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hope everything turns out okay. How are things now?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hes been resting most of the day (which isn't abnormal, all three of my boys generally sleep during the day and wake up in the evening for food and play.)
I've been managing to get him to have a few mouthfuls of baby food or yogurt every hour today and he also ate half a grape. Baby steps but definitely an improvement over the past couple of days. Just desperate to see him back to his greedy willful little self!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent the weekend syringe feeding Muffin homemade rehydration drink of water, honey and a pinch of salt and encouraging him to take some baby food from my fingers. Last evening he started drinking on his own again and today I've just got back from work and found that he's looking alert, his eyes are bright, he's running about and climbing the sides of his hospital cage. I offered him a treat and he can running and even did a little trick for me spinning round in a circle! I am so happy and I'm not ashamed to admit that a cried a little! He's absolutely filthy and lost a little weight but fingers crossed he definitely seems to be out of the woods!

·
Registered
153 Posts
So glad to hear he's turning around, please update us as time goes on! Hang in there little guy!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well with things progressing so well with Muffins recovery, I'd been looking forward to a relaxing Friday evening. Then I came home to discover Muffins neuter wound had opened up and was oozing all over the place. Luckily the vet is open to 7pm, so I got a last minute appointment. Vet didn't think it would be a good idea to close the wound, but got a round of antibiotics to fight any infection and a check up booked for tuesday. Right now he's in the cat carrier bored silly and making me feel guilty for imprisoning him, but he just wouldn't stop climbing all over the place in the big cage. Silly baba!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Poor furry. I hope he recovers soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts