Rat Forum banner

Post tumor removal

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ladylady 
#1 ·
Im new here, but since it is a holiday weekend I don't know who to ask about this (since my vet is closed)....

Ruby is my 1 year old rat that just had a mammory tumor removed on Wends the 4th. She had the last dose of pain meds yesterday, and today she is limping with leg the tumor was closest to, and she keeps picking it up and it shakes...I am not sure if this is from pain or if there might be something else wrong. If anyone has dealt with this please let me know. I will be calling the vet tomorrow, but want to keep her comfortable today.

Thanks.

#4 ·
There are no pain medications you can "pick up" for rats, at least not if you're implying anything store bought.

One of my girls, Peri, had a tumor removed on the 5th :) Your vet should have given you more than 3 days worth of pain medication, honestly. I usually get a full bottle (way more than necessary, but great to have on hand anyway). It seems she's really in pain, which isn't a good situation to be in for a small animal. By the time a small animal shows pain, that means it's so over-whelming that they can't hide it anymore.

If at all possible, could you call some emergency vets in your area? Maybe they will simply sell you some Metacam instead of having you come in. Besides that, there really isn't too much else to suggest. If she worsens at all, and you're not able to find an e-vet who will give you pain medication without a checkup, I'd go ahead and take her in right away.

#5 ·
I know some folks will have something to say about this, but you could try infant Tylenol. When Miffy had her tumor removed she was on pain medicine, but she was grooming herself and chewing her nails. I called the emergency vet, and they said to get more pain medicine from the vet in the morning, but I didn't want to wait! Someone else online suggested Tylenol. Miffy weighs about a half a pound, so I gave her 40ml every 4-6 hrs. I just used the syringe that came with the bottle. It worked great and took the edge off until we could get to the vet, and my vet didn't have a problem with it when I told her. I really recommend it.

D

#10 ·
Great thank you sooooo much...The e-vet finally answeared there phone and they are going to give me more meds for her, I just have to take in her previous perscription to show that she was on it. That is good to know about the tylenol though, just as a back up measure. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.