Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the repeated heart break of my babies deaths, I've decided to preemptively spay Opie and Izzy. However, izzy is hairless and I know they can have temperature problems. Antone have any experience with naked rats and surgery?

·
Registered
863 Posts
My hairless had surgery for a mass removal and sailed through it just fine. I should note that we are in Florida so the coldest she experienced was probably the AC in the hospital when she was coming out of anesthesia. I brought a blanket for her and instructed them to use it after the surgery. My rat vet is pretty great and Smoothie had no problems recovering from her mass removal.

And by the way, her cage mate was spayed at 5 months. She's not quite a year old yet so I can't attest to the long term results, but it's a wonderful feeling knowing she's been spayed.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm spaying late, but I just hope to hedge my bets.

I'm in Ohio, on the brink of winter, living in a basement. My vet is the best in NW Ohio, but I am so afraid her temperature just will go haywire or she won't do well post op.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use those snugglesafes on everyone at least the first day after any surgery. Anesthetic tends to make their (meaning everyone, pets and humans) internal thermostat not work correctly.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The nakie is about 8mos old, and the furred one is about 1.8yo.

·
Registered
863 Posts
It's still a great time to spay the naked rat. I would guess you're taking risks spaying your older one - what does your vet say about that?

Make sure you get some Metacam for after the operation. The following day or 2 can be painful for them. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I spayed Iris, she had to be put on tramadol when she was spayed her pain was so bad (2.5yo). I think I actually have some syringes of it laying around for emergency SQ injections, I'll make sure they're still good before surgery. Opie is older, but I'm encouraged by her current state of health. At her age last year, my rats were dying.

Izzy is actually a bit of a loner rat, so I worry she won't cuddle to stay warm. She prefers an empty wood box to hammocks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I realize this response is a little late, but I had both of my naked Double Rex rat brothers neutered at the age of 4 months in August. My veterinarian had experience with rats and provided me a lot of helpful details befor
e and after surgery. He did warn about anesthesia with rats and ensuring they had supplemental heat sources during surgery and recovery.

I separated both rats for 4 days post-surgery to decrease chances of them chewing on each other's incisions. He used dissolving sutures to avoid the need for later removal and both went home on Metacam. We housed them next to each other and on soft flannel for the entire time. I used two small bird cages placed next to each other covered with a flannel sheet to prevent drafts from A/C.

The one long term problem I was warned about was post surgery weight gain, so I try to be more careful about what foods I feed. They pulled through the experience with flying colors and are now active and playful loves. My hope is that they will enjoy long happy lives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts