Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bijou has been rattly that last few days which makes me very uncomfortable to put her under anesthesia to have her lump removed plus a spay. I've postponed her surgery until the next soonest date available which is in the beginning of December. She'll see a great rat vet on Monday and I'm hoping he'll have good news and give me a good antibiotic or combo antibiotics to make sure she's as healthy as possible for her surgery, since most of you know already that I'm very very nervous about her! For now, she's just started amoxicillin, raw honey, 90% chocolate, and humidifier treatments.

Ilovemybabyrats, I'm planning on using your method of tumor fighting using the turkey tail mushroom and wheatgrass combo so her tumor growth hopefully will be slowed down. If anyone else has any advice on slowing tumor growth until her surgery date, I would be really happy to hear it! (Ilovemybabyrats, I'll PM you too :) )

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've heard Curcurmin can help in some cases, its the medicinal form of turmeric.

I would also get her on some echancia as that will help boost her immune system in the mean time and a probioitic could be beneficial if shes on antibitotics.

Id also tell the vet who is doing the surgery to remove the lump first and then if she seems a bit wobbly under anaesthetic to skip the spay. Some rats get uncomfortable breathing so are better off awake sooner rather than later. The spay is the bigger op and once they start that and open the abdomem they cant stop until its done even if the rats starts having issues. Our vet does this as routine now and she has great survival rates, even for those rats that are risky cases.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea, i'll be sure to ask the vet about that to make sure she isn't put through any extra risk.

I've ordered the turkey tail and wheatgrass and am just waiting for it to arrive now. I'm planning on asking this good rat vet about using all these supplements to see what he thinks. I'm hoping he knows some good supplements to suggest for her and what he thinks about the ones I plan to give her. The amoxicillin seems to have started helping already, but I'll see if there's any other ABs that might help too.

Do you think it would be safe to have her on all of these extra supplements? I've heard also that turkey tail is made for humans as immune support, would it help for rat immune systems too and I could maybe forego the echinacea? I was mainly using the turkey tail as a tumor growth suppresant since it seems to have great results for a lot of people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts