Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get some rats. I've read up on them on the internet and on this site. I really don't trust the books in the pet stores, since most of what they said about guinea pigs was wrong. (ie. they need salt licks and vitiman drops, etc.)

I think I'm ready to purchase my new pets, but I've never had rats. I've had guinea pigs and hampsters (as far as pocket pets go) and both times I got hampsters I got 2, each time they were from the same litter. And each time they had to be seperated after a few weeks. The people at the store said that it's better to get 2 and from the same litter but appearantly they were wrong. I know that my guineas are all from different litters and they get along great. I know guinea pigs, hampsters, and rats are all different, but has anyone had problems with rats from the same litter not getting along? I dont want to have to split them up and buy a second cage and new mates for each of them if this happens...I think this is my biggest worry!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I havent ever gotten rats from the same litter before, but I dont think there would be much of a difference between the two when it comes to fighting or anything like that. Its really up to the rats wether they like each other or not. Either way, once they get to a certain age they may start to westle around and start showing whos dominate and who isnt. You dont have to spearate them, and you shouldnt if its not harming them at all becuase thats just what they do and its important for them to know there place. If they do start getting too rough and start to accually hurt each other you may want to separate them, but its not a long term thing...you just have to reintroduce them slowely. When I got the two boys I have now, I had to separate them becuase they were getting way too rough, but after a few weeks of re-introduction, they were the best of buds once again. LOL, they were just going through those norm "teen" male behaviors.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hamsters are solitary creatures... the pet store just wanted to sell you more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have two girls from the same litter and they get along great... they can get carried away when they play at night, every now and then you'll hear someone squeel but they have never drawn blood. There doesn't seem to be a dominance issue either, the forced grooming isn't often... and it seems mutual. They don't steal from each other anymore... we just make sure they get there equal treat. If I give Mindy a cranberry, and Lucy a wheat puff (on of her favorites), Lucy won't take the wheatpuff (which she normally snatches out of my finger in a heartbeat). They copy each other alot too, and I think Mindy is much more sociable and calm now because of Lucy.

Just make sure you do your homework, cage size, proper diet, bedding, etc.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
male hamsters can live in groups if they start as litter mates, but females are hellish little creatures. :) i agree that they were just trying to sell you more.

i've had TONS of hamsters, and i have to say that rats are heavenly little animals next to them, i LOVE them. :D but like dreadhead says, just do some research first to decide if they're the pet for you. they can be kind of costly, but you also have to be willing to go all out for them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Definitely don't mistake them as a low maintenance or cheap companion. Having happy sociable rat requires alot of attention and patience, but can be very rewarding for you and your new friends.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys!
And I know about the cost of animals. I already have 2 cats and 3 guinea pigs.

I just want the rats to be as happy and as interactive as my other pets. The hampsters were a poo poo idea, not the greatest pet.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Oh, they're interactive all right! It's up to you to make them happy though. ;)

Try to find a well handled, sweetie of a rat, they're usually great for such things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts