Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i wanted to poke my head in here and say thank you for the help with my one surviving rat. He has a name now, and have started calling him Gus. He did in fact have a URI and the vet said he was very healthy otherwise and was already up to 106 grams. Hes responded very very well to the antibiotics and in just 5 days has completely stopped sneezing and making that weird noise i posted about. I have been working with Gus little by little and run across two problems.

The first is i have gotten him used to coming out of the cage on his own and snagging a treat from my fingers and dashing back into the cage. I leave me knee against the cage door so he can make a jump up onto my leg and get the cheerios hes so fond of. The first problem is if i move my knee away from the cage so he cant get back in, he completely forgets about the treat. It dosent matter if he has it or not. I have seen him grab the cheerio, turn to go back to the cage and found he couldnt go back and dropped the food as if he no longer remembered it was there and frantically searches for a way to get back into the cage. How do i break him of this.....i dont know....dependency of being in the cage? I want him to like coming out and spending time out of the cage and with me, but he seems to freak out if he cant be in it.

The second problem i ran into is a bit of a potty problem. I have been trying to get him used to me by every now and then picking him up, no matter how much he tries to run and putting him on my shoulder while sitting in my computer chair and letting him roam all over me. His response has been to poop all over me when i do this. not once or twice, but like 5 or 6 times in just 15-20 minutes. I was born without a sense of smell, so i can not smell it when he poops on me, so i am even more careful about where he poops to make sure the room dosent stink from unnoticed droppings. I am not sure why he dose this, or even how to break him of this.....habit i guess? I dont even know what to call it. Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I only got my first rats last Monday so I'm not the most experienced. But for the first few days, every time I took them out to play and get used to me, they'd poop a LOT, mostly fear poops I think. But after getting used to me and coming out a few times to play, they stopped doing fear poops! Now they only poop in a little corner of the sofa. So I guess it'll just take time. Maybe you can cover yourself with a blanket so he'll poop all over the blanket instead of your clothes?

·
Registered
737 Posts
the pooing sounds like fear poop i recommend rat daddys immersion guide its long but good he may also need time to relax a bit with coming out of the cage ive had one of my girls pepper about a month how and she will step out on to my hand and jump to the edge of my bed about 3 inch jump and then go right back at first movement or sound they will both get better in time and work

·
Registered
56 Posts
It really just depends. Kari goes through these phases where she "doesn't need help" and refuses to take my hand, so I just leave the door open and she'll come out on her own.

As for having cage dependency, I would say just leaving the door open so he can come out on his own. Playing on the floor vs the chair, etc. Maybe even taking him into another room until he clams down? So then he won't have a cage to run back into.

I've only had Kari since August 4th, but yeah. @[email protected]'

·
Registered
307 Posts
Definitely sounds like fear poop to me. It will pass. Mine also did that for a while when we first got them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts