Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!!
So I've been thinking of litter training my girls, they are both under a year but I wanted to see how hard it would be and the best way. The only days im home ALL day is Friday, half on Saturday and come in the evenings on sunday. I know its best to put their "presents" into the litter and reward them when I see them potty there. Any other tips?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use litter in the tray only and line the floors of their cage with fleece/towels. I read it helps them understand the difference of where is right to go! I've been training my two since Tuesday and they almost have the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I don't need to train mine, they have trained themselves, the trick is to make it very easy for them. Flat surfaces are generally crying out to be poo'd or wee'd on. So get rid of them. My cage doesn't have shelves, instead it has a few hanging cat litter trays (the big rectangular ones), I fill these with litter and spread them around the cage. The key is to make sure there's one near there fave sleeping places, that way they will roll out of there hammocks to go to the loo, even urinate in them (which is very rare with standard litter training). Then I fill the rest of the space with ropes, branches, and active toys, so it also benefits there physical fitness too

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the little small corner shaped litter pan with a grate covering the litter. The first couple of days I had it, I put their poops in the litter pan. Since then, they use the litter pan about 99% of the time. About once every three weeks, I'll have to pick up a few little poops and drop them in the pan. I didn't really train them, they just did it on their own.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice! I have only 1 shelf that they go on to eat otherwise I have a rope, ladder, and 2 hammocks. So the shelves I don't think it'll be a problem. I just gotta buy fleece and the stuff to catch the pee! I'll try a pee rock.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Fleece is rubbish for absorbing pee by the way, it wicks moisture away but doesn't lock it away like a substrate so whilst it looks pretty it doesn't help much with smells or diggability and enrichment

·
Registered
452 Posts
As some members have already said, rats pretty much train themselves :)
The litter I have in the litterbox is very different to the bedding in the bottom pan of the cage, and all I did was pick up all the poop and put some in the litterbox. Do this constantly for a few days and they will start to get the idea. I dont think you have to literally watch them all day to wait for them to use the litterbox and praise them every single time :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts