Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to adopt a couple rats here soon but I'm concerned with potty training. I've never owned a rat before (I have experience with other small rodents such as hamsters, gerbils, and rabbits) and I'm worried it will be too hard to potty train two rats at the same time. I've considered adopting one rat, potty training, then introducing another rat however I'm afraid that two strange ratties won't get along and it's easier to just adopt two (of the same gender, of course) that already know each other.

Am I just over thinking things? What's different about potty training two rats compared to one rat? Any tips or tricks for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
you can buy litter training crystals I forget what their called their made by kaytee I think and I know Pet Smart sells them , their In a bag their white , It's suppose to encourage them to go to that spot , when I first adopted my first 2 girls I tried it and it seemed to work I did it for a few weeks in their litter pan and I use yesterdays news for my litter ,they are 90% litter trained they still have a few spots they like to go , but my new girls are doing really good and this time I didn't use any of the litter training crystals , they seemed to figure it out own their own

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Definitely get two rats at once if u can :)

I am not really sure how it could be more difficult to litter train more then one rat. It is not very hands on where you need to do anything specific for one of them. One rat or 50 it would work all the same way :)

Litter training can be hit or miss anyways. Some rats are great at it, some just refuse and most are somewhere in the middle.

Make sure to use a different type of litter in their box then the rest of their cage, scoop up poop and put it in the box. Get a pee rock (a large rock) for the litterbox, for some reason they are drawn to pee on rocks. It helps alot. Get multiple boxes if u have a large cage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts