Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I can do for Bijou to help make sure she is healthy enough for surgery and recovery? I'm very worried she'll have a complication with the anasthesia, especially since she's always been a little whistly and snuffly no matter how many different types of antibiotic treatments I've tried. I'm pretty sure it might be lung scarring and not an infection. She has been just a bit sniffly lately which makes me worried..

Is there anything else I can do to boost her immune system or anything?

As for post care.. This vet place will likely not give any antibiotics or pain meds, as they are a low cost spay/neuter/vaccination clinic and not a full fledged veterinary office. I go here because the vet is one of the only vets in the area who has experience with spaying and neutering rats and she did a great job for my 2 boys with no complications after the neuter. I also did not receive any pain meds or ABs at the time for my boys. They were uncomfortable, the first day, but seemed pretty ok afterwards.

Since Bijou is getting spayed, it will I'm sure be much more sore and uncomfortable inside for her as she heals and recovers.. I have metacam already for her. Should I consider using an antibiotic like amoxicillin while she is recovering to keep away any infections? Or would it just be an uncessesary use of ABs? Poor baby, I keep thinking how I would feel if I was her before/after surgery and being in a scary place with strange people doing weird things and the pain afterwards and her not understanding why, and it's really quite scary! My poor little girl!

Should she be kept warm after surgery? If she is comfortable enough to cuddle, I plan to relax with her tucked under my warm fuzzy robe on my chest to keep her warm and hopefully make her feel better while she sleeps off the knock out drugs.

I'm just so nervous for my little heart-rat! I don't even know how old she is so I can't judge based on that either.. She's always looked like a fluffly little old lady rat to me since I took her home. but since the day I first found the lump until now, it seemed to have grown rather quickly and is now certainly visible without just feeling. I think it's a good decision to have the lump removed and spayed at the same time to prevent more in the future, but the thought of her going through such a big surgery really scares me! Her surgery date is only a week away..

Any advice for pre or post surgery would be greatly appreciated! It's been at least 8 or more years since I've had rats and had to go through anything like this. I forgot how scary it was.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping someone has some opinions or suggestions? Experiences to share?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this thread before. Always bothers me when no one replies to a thread.For pre- care just generally make sure she's as healthy as possible. Get her to a good weight if she isn't already. Her breathing has me a bit worried. I would say talk to them about temperature control during surgery, but if they've spayed and neutered before they likely know this. can't hurt to ask to be sure though. Is she on antibiotics for her breathing? If so that will likely boost her immune system too. I was never given antibiotics for mine when they had surgery, but pain meds were given. Is she good with other people? If so that will cut down her stress level. Ask about the use of lasers. It costs more but means a faster surgery so less time under, which is obvioulsly important for her breathing.

For after, use fleece bedding if you don't already. Cookie and Cindy both felt up to being out of their cage the next day. Cookie even pulled a Houdini on me.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Yikes. No she will need strong pain meds. My girl was unaffected by Metacam and needed stronger stuff.

Have nutrical and baby rice cereal and soy milk on hand. My girl didn't eat for a few days.

Have a heating pad under part of the cage. My girl kept getting cold.

Definitely use a hospital cage and isolation. Trust me, a neuter is so much less than a spay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts