Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby, a 2-year old BEW, is scheduled to have an egg-sized tumor removed on Friday morning. They said she's going to need a long incision to remove it, and will have a body wrap afterwards. They told me to make sure she eats in the morning.

Apart from that, I'd appreciate any extra tips to help her recover. I have a one-level Martin's cage she can stay in for a few days so she doesn't have to climb to get around. This will be my first time bringing a rat for surgery. I'm nervous!

xc

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
She doesn't need to do anything special, but I would recommend you get her a heating pad, some nutrical, rice cereal and soy milk for babies and try to be home as much as possible post op. My girl didn't eat anything hard but would eat nutrical mixed in rice cereal porridge warmed up. The nutrical provides dense caloric intake. If she eats, you can just store this stuff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
She's awfully cute.

I'd also ditto having an emergency set-up, just in case she needs her appetite jump-started post op.

Maybe have some of her favorites around, and baby food, etc.

Vibes for a very smooth recovery.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone!

The doctor called and said she did fine in surgery. I'm going to pick her up in a few hours.

Here's what she looked like before the operation:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's back home with a wrap around her middle. She ate some sweet potato and a piece of cheese, used the bathroom and she's currently taking a nap with Opal. She's on a 24 hour analgesic.

I'm supposed to trim the bandage off of her tomorrow, but if she starts licking the incision (which I expect she will) then I will have to wrap her again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The first photo killed me. Oh so cute...! When rats have surgery it's best to keep them on strong painkillers afterwards so that they will take an ongoing interest in food (my rat was given buprenorphine). Some rats hate being wrapped and some will rip their stitches/staples out and chew off surgical glue. Hopefully you don't have a rat like this or you'll be having to keep a constant eye on her.

If you find your rat isn't eating enough, assist feeding is always an option but it looks like you'll be one of those lucky rat owners who doesn't have to deal with post op problems some have to deal with.

Your rat will be so much more comfortable now that she's had surgery. Keep an eye out in the next few months sometimes tumors grow back in the same spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.