Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is hard to explain... I'll just dive right into it. I have an albino female about eight or nine months old now. Since forever, she's had an eye issue.... I took her to the vet and they gave me cream to put on it when it flairs up. The issue I have now with her is that we've thought she was pregnant now for almost three weeks. On Christmas day, I checked her cage to see how she was doing or if anything popped out yet.... her stomach seemed smaller somehow. Now four days later, her stomach is smaller still, but still puffy and enlarged. She wasn't ever an overweight girl, but she's a bit of a pudge.... she had a rough life before, so I spoil her rotten. I'm becoming concerned that there is something other than little baby rat buns cooking in the oven! Have any of you ever experienced this before? Also, she's a little lethargic at times, but she's still eating like the little pig that she is. Any and all help or considerations would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much, and have a good one!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Lets start with the eye issue, what is it and how is it being treated? PEW's (Pink Eyed Whites) often sway and have terrible vision but no real eye issues are common with them. Does she have excess porphyrin around her eyes (red fluid emitted from the eyes/nose).

Its been 3 weeks since she was with a male? Mistake I hope. :)
Gestation is 21-23 days so she should be showing by now (esp. at her age).

Are you able to palpate her belly to feel for lumps? Be gentle just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the eye thing is not a problem anymore... I have that under control. My main concern right now is that she is lethargic and dare I say bloated??? She was growing how a normal mom grows when pregnant, but like I said it all started to change. And like I said, it's puffy and enlarged. It's not quite hard, but it's not squishy like it should be. When I hold her up on her hind legs to have a look, her belly is round and full like a pregnant rat. I've never dealt with a rat pregnancy before, and the male was only with her for a short time one time... I guess it does only take one time! Perhaps someone who has experience in this department might have an idea as to what could be going on with my little Peachy girl???? Thanks so much! And Peach says "thanks" as well.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Lethargic and bloated? Oh dear. Is she eating at all?

Its possible she was pregnant, reabsorbed most babies and the others died inside of her, causing a systemic infection. She may have a baby stuck inside of her when she was giving birth as well. Is she eating?

She also could have pyometra, an infection of the uterus. It makes their bellies swell up from all the pus inside.

She also could have an internal mass stopping her up inside.

Can you get her to the vet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, yes. She's eating. She is and always has been a good eater. I'm wondering if she's a little bummed about being in a cage alone? I bought a temporary cage for her with some Christmas money, so she could have some peace and quiet with Violet running all over her like she does. I have her on my lap now, and she's just cuddling and taking little naps. The lethargy seems to come and go... that's what made me think of her being lonely. When I wake up and greet them in the morning, they're all wild and loveydovey. I don't know.... maybe I'm just freaking out about nothing?? I can do the vet, but the vet around here is so effin rude and expensive... it's horrible. And the next one is over an hour away. I bought her a new bed, and she loves it. She'll spend all day in it if I let her. I just started putting vitamins in their water bottles about a week ago. Could that be a contributing factor?? I'm so lost now....

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Those vitamin drops are really useless. They break down within a few hours and then can actually cause bacteria to grow in the waterbottle. A good diet is all a rat needs, not the vitamin drops. Its another one of those Petstore Must-Have's LOL. Just like the hamster cage, the seed mix, and the pine bedding...

Can you figure out exactly how long its been since she was with the male? If you are at 22 days, then you can probably re-intro her back to her female friends.

·
Registered
261 Posts
it's probably the medicine used for the eye issue. the best thing you could do is notify your local veternarian right away. poor girl. i wish you two the best of luck and happy new year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts