Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so two days ago i picked up a rat from a person who found her in a small cage on the streets, its a little she rat but when i started preparing her cage so shed be nice, fed and comfortable and i wanted to pick her up i noticed her tummy was very hard and big and i also saw that her nipples were way bigger than a casual she-rat. Good thing that she adjusted to me real quick and shes really sweet, she just doesnt like loud noises so im very gentle with her. Maybe i can try to take a picture of her tummy? I also notice shes very calm and thats pretty odd since she was picked up from the streets all abandoned. I dont know how old she is but she looks young i think around 10 months maybe older.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so two days ago i picked up a rat from a person who found her in a small cage on the streets, its a little she rat but when i started preparing her cage so shed be nice, fed and comfortable and i wanted to pick her up i noticed her tummy was very hard and big and i also saw that her nipples were way bigger than a casual she-rat. Good thing that she adjusted to me real quick and shes really sweet, she just doesnt like loud noises so im very gentle with her. Maybe i can try to take a picture of her tummy? I also notice shes very calm and thats pretty odd since she was picked up from the streets all abandoned. I dont know how old she is but she looks young i think around 10 months maybe older.

Heres some pictures, also when she walks you can kinda see a peer formy thinf wobbling side to side with her.

·
Registered
471 Posts
She could be pregnant. But, seeing as you found her abandoned, in a cage ... you might want to consider having her checked out by a vet to make sure she's healthy, either way. The good news is, rats have a fairly quick gestation period, so you won't have to wait long to see if she has babies. The "bad" news is - they can tend to have rather large litters.
If she does have a litter, you might want to check out the accidental litter forum for tips on how to help care for her.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She could be pregnant. But, seeing as you found her abandoned, in a cage ... you might want to consider having her checked out by a vet to make sure she's healthy, either way. The good news is, rats have a fairly quick gestation period, so you won't have to wait long to see if she has babies. The "bad" news is - they can tend to have rather large litters.
If she does have a litter, you might want to check out the accidental litter forum for tips on how to help care for her.
Ill be sure to call the vet tomorrow and prepare for a litter just incase.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well the baby rattys seem healthy and they made it trough the night without any complications. The baby momma also doesnt show any agression towards me when i cleaned her water bowl and put a new one in she just sniffed my hand and was completely fine with me being there. I will ofcourse still not touch the babys unless its an emergency.
(Also dont mind the text om the picture that was me freaking out xD)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok so i moved the babys and the mommy to another cage because the other cage was way to small and no i didnt touch the babys i put a thing underneath it and moved them gently while my mom had her hands underneath and baby momma watched it and followed her babys but like the clean cage had some tissue for her nest and she started covering her babys with it. She still goes underneath the tissue to lay down with her babys and sleep with them but im affraid shell lose one in the pile, is this natural behavoir because she also started doing this in the smaller cage.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think she's trying to keep them warm. You can lay some fleece down over the bedding and see if she still does it .... another user a few weeks ago had an issue with the mom laying on the babies and one or two smothered. but it's a natural behavior of the mom and not meant to harm.

·
Registered
298 Posts
View attachment 303330
Well the baby rattys seem healthy and they made it trough the night without any complications. The baby momma also doesnt show any agression towards me when i cleaned her water bowl and put a new one in she just sniffed my hand and was completely fine with me being there. I will ofcourse still not touch the babys unless its an emergency.
(Also dont mind the text om the picture that was me freaking out xD)
Oh my goodness, the cuteness!!! Please let us know how she does with her babes :)

Reactions: Odie&Mo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This picture was about 1 or 2 days ago and their really starting to show their patterns. They become more noticeable every day! I also sometimes have to grab a baby ratty and put it back with its mom because they drag themselves with their mom by the nipple and when the mom is feeding the others she just forgets about that one baby on the other side off the cage😬 i do rub my hands in her scent and carefully pick it up, i have noticed that the mom is really defensive against my family and no body but me can touch her or her babys. Since she has bitten my sister who thought it was smart to put her finger in a cage with a mommy rat and babys. Im glad she doesnt bite me tho and i now keep my siblings away from the cage since they dont learn their lesson that quickly hhahah. Also i just thought this picture was adorable x3.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just have a question. Since ofcourse i cant keep all the baby rats and im thinking that i might sell them (im keeping 3 females) but i dont want them to end up to be snake food or food in general since their so precious :(. Do you have any recommendation on how to sell them? Im also getting them checked when their about 4/5 weeks for any illnesses and that'll be the time that im gonna separate the males and females.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can and should actually start holding the babies on the 2nd-3rd day not only to check the milk bands but also to get them used to handling. It's great that mom isn't aggressive towards you because mine sure is! Selling them isn't the best way to go about things as they will most likely end up as snake food even if the pet store tells you they won't. Best bet is to try to find someone on here who might take them or contact a rescue near you. They can't really be sold for anything but snake food or rehomed for free since you don't know anything about their genetics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can and should actually start holding the babies on the 2nd-3rd day not only to check the milk bands but also to get them used to handling. It's great that mom isn't aggressive towards you because mine sure is! Selling them isn't the best way to go about things as they will most likely end up as snake food even if the pet store tells you they won't. Best bet is to try to find someone on here who might take them or contact a rescue near you. They can't really be sold for anything but snake food or rehomed for free since you don't know anything about their genetics.
Yea i do have a friend who loves rats who already want to home 3 of them since she had rats in the past im also keeping 3 myself so that leaves 6 rats, good thing that i still have enough time to find homes for them. And i have already started checking them, since i notice that the mom is completely fine with it. Their also starting to grow hairs so its quit adorable. Im also very carefull to make sure their not gonna be snake food, in my country we dont have rat rescues but im surely trying to find people near me who wont use them as snake food. Also when can i start checking their genders? Their 6 days old now.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts