Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
409 Posts
She looks very pregnant! I think She is going to have her babies tonight-3 days!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i need help. is my rat fat, pregnant or is it something else? she got like this almost overnight. she is recently adopted and a lot bigger than her sister. help!
i need help. is my rat fat, pregnant or is it something else? she got like this almost overnight. she is recently adopted and a lot bigger than her sister. help!
Hs she been with males?
she was bought just a week ago. she could’ve been in contact before then and i’d have no way of knowing

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi there. We had an accidental litter a few months back, and your rat looks very similar in appearance, complete with fur missing around the nipples, to our girl. And she looks like if she is pregnant you don't have a lot of time to prepare.
Because we aren't vets, and even vets might struggle to diagnose online, I would still be open to other conditions causing her to look like this. But my first response would be to set her up for babies just in case, and then while she is safely separated and prepared, try and watch for any signs of illness that might be pointing to something other than pregnancy e.g. not eating, not drinking, signs of pain etc. If you notice these, then I would definitely get medical advice from a vet straight away.
To prepare a pregnant mum for birth, she will need a separate cage from her friend/s. Here are some links about firstly how to make a bin cage, and then how to modify it for a nursery cage.
Also make sure she has plenty of free access to food and water. If she is heavily pregnant she will eat and drink a LOT!
Paper kitchen towels in her cage will be ideal for her to make a nest, and some rat mums like a little hidey place too.
Here are the links...

Keep us posted. All the best.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you got her from a pet store and her belly looks like that, you probably don't have a lot of time to prepare for the babies. Check out the Isamu Rat Care youtube channel. They have a "breeding" playlist with videos that talk about nursing enclosures as well as care for babies throughout each stage of their development.

You really don't have much time to waste.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there. We had an accidental litter a few months back, and your rat looks very similar in appearance, complete with fur missing around the nipples, to our girl. And she looks like if she is pregnant you don't have a lot of time to prepare.
Because we aren't vets, and even vets might struggle to diagnose online, I would still be open to other conditions causing her to look like this. But my first response would be to set her up for babies just in case, and then while she is safely separated and prepared, try and watch for any signs of illness that might be pointing to something other than pregnancy e.g. not eating, not drinking, signs of pain etc. If you notice these, then I would definitely get medical advice from a vet straight away.
To prepare a pregnant mum for birth, she will need a separate cage from her friend/s. Here are some links about firstly how to make a bin cage, and then how to modify it for a nursery cage.
Also make sure she has plenty of free access to food and water. If she is heavily pregnant she will eat and drink a LOT!
Paper kitchen towels in her cage will be ideal for her to make a nest, and some rat mums like a little hidey place too.
Here are the links...

Keep us posted. All the best.
thank you !! will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Where are u located? Some poeple here may want babies rats!

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
676 Posts
Yep, that’s a nest. Can you send a picture of her cage? Is she living with anyone else?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Oh yeah, we be ridin' the Baby Train again!!! Keep us posted, and be ready to take pics ;)

Reactions: ratmom!

·
Registered
125 Posts
It might also be helpful to mention that some mothers show temporary hormonal aggression. She may bite you, either from now or in the few weeks after giving birth, even though she would never usually do that to you. This aggression is a temporary protective mother thing, and should disappear after the babies wean.
Also, if you do need to pick her up, you will want to do so really gently now. Try scooping her into two cupped hands while reassuring her with some quiet talk. But mostly she might want to just be left alone for a bit.
It sounds like you are doing lots of things to get prepared for the big event. All the best!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update: it’s been two days n she’s gotten bigger but still no birth. will continue to monitor and update

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh, exciting! I hope she's doing well. Do keep us posted - we would love to hear what happens in the next wee while. :)
P.S. I take it you've ruled out any other reason for health concerns? e.g. Is she eating/drinking/pooping normally?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
another update: i think it’s time! she just made a rather elaborate nest in a somewhat frantic manner and is in the nest now. i’m giving her privacy for a few hours before i check.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts