Rat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh, exciting! I hope she's doing well. Do keep us posted - we would love to hear what happens in the next wee while. :)
P.S. I take it you've ruled out any other reason for health concerns? e.g. Is she eating/drinking/pooping normally?
i strongly suspect she is in labor now! she built a rather elaborate nest while i was out today and she is in the nest now, showing signs of contractions. i’m giving her privacy for the time being but more updates to come :)

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
406 Posts
OMG OMG OMG! So excited! Where do you live, some people here may want ratlings!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
another update: i think it’s time! she just made a rather elaborate nest in a somewhat frantic manner and is in the nest now. i’m giving her privacy for a few hours before i check.
she is for sure in labor. i just checked on her and she’s giving birth rn. are baby rats supposed to continuously squeak? her babies seem to squeak but only occasionally, not in a constant manner.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow. Congratulations! I do remember our babies squeaking quite constantly, but we only discovered them when she had more or less had them all already. Perhaps if your girl has only had a few so far, they may not make as much noise quite yet. I can't help thinking she will do just fine as her instincts kick in and she accepts the babies into the nest one by one. I believe things to worry about are excessive bleeding in the nest, or active contractions longer than about an hour. Perhaps there are some experienced rat breeders out there who may have some more advice to add?
We are thinking of your little girl and wishing her all the best!
If you continue to be worried about anything, keep asking questions. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
she is for sure in labor. i just checked on her and she’s giving birth rn. are baby rats supposed to continuously squeak? her babies seem to squeak but only occasionally, not in a constant manner.
ok, so she seems to be the mother of sixish babies who are doing well. at least i think they are, as they are alive 😅 she is nursing them like normal. sometimes they squeak very loudly when she steps on them, and it sounds like they’re crying in fear almost..... seeing as they’re still alive i’m gonna assume it’s natural tho haha. i’ll check back in a day or two, hopefully with an exact count.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Congrats on your new litter! Well done, sounds like everyone is doing good.

Reactions: percivalp

·
Registered
807 Posts
Do you have a final headcount?

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
406 Posts
ok, so she seems to be the mother of sixish babies who are doing well. at least i think they are, as they are alive 😅 she is nursing them like normal. sometimes they squeak very loudly when she steps on them, and it sounds like they’re crying in fear almost..... seeing as they’re still alive i’m gonna assume it’s natural tho haha. i’ll check back in a day or two, hopefully with an exact count.
EKKKKKKKK! You should keep 2 to be friends with your girl (they are very social and can't live alone). I would make a tread today asking if anyone needs new rats in the memphis, tennessee area! I would take more rats but I'm in C.A!

Reactions: percivalp

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
663 Posts
EKKKKKKKK! You should keep 2 to be friends with your girl (they are very social and can't live alone). I would make a tread today asking if anyone needs new rats in the memphis, tennessee area! I would take more rats but I'm in C.A!
She has a sister but they are separated because of the pregnancy... but ya you could keep some girlies

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
update!
gave birth to twelve babies! however only eleven were in the nest when i checked a few hours ago (using a stick to lift up the nest material; i didn’t want to get my sent on them) and they were all full of milk and wriggly. i believe she must have eaten the other one; i know it’s natural but still a bit sad. she’s nursing them fine, but is VERY protective, she bit down on my finger HARD when i went in to refill her water bottle. but i’m sure it’s just hormones and her being protective :) here are pics! i will take more pics and post them in the ensuing days.
1A63D59B-5EC3-4CBF-A7A9-A94E4CB559EC.jpeg
0E05A877-8C2D-4B1E-AD74-CE067945921F.jpeg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congratulatoins! What a clever Mum! I'm not surprised to hear she gave birth to 12 babies - that little tummy looked very round. :)
If if makes you feel any better, our mum rat also did that to me when I was refilling her water. I felt quite scared of her for a while! But in a few weeks she changed right back to how she was - a dear little girl with a nice nature. We're so pleased to see the photos. Doesn't she look so proud of her little family,

·
Registered
125 Posts
Someone else might have already told you this, but cashew nuts are supposed to be good for milk production. I don't know if its an old wives' tale or not, but it didn't do ours any harm. The babies seemed to have plenty of milk, and mother rats seem to really enjoy them. I just got plain raw ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Someone else might have already told you this, but cashew nuts are supposed to be good for milk production. I don't know if its an old wives' tale or not, but it didn't do ours any harm. The babies seemed to have plenty of milk, and mother rats seem to really enjoy them. I just got plain raw ones.
i remember giving her one the day before she gave birth, but i’ll probably get some more either later today or tomorrow when i go grocery shopping. she is very fond of nuts, it’s her favorite treat. she prefers them even over sweet treats.

·
Registered
807 Posts
So happy for you and your momma rat with all her babes!! Thanks for the pics, we just looooove pics of babies ;)

And yes, momma will be protective. That means she's a good mother, and doing her job!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts