Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever pressure washed their CN/DCN? Opinions even if you haven't (do you think it would damage it)? I was thinking about rolling it outside every 5-6 months and hosing it down, there are lots of little cracks for stuff to build up that I just can't get.

·
Registered
835 Posts
With both my cages (Rat and hedgehog) I usually hose them down when weekly cleaning them. There has been no damage to either of the cages. But neither of them are CN/DCN

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I own the double and it is a mammoth. I can't see myself taking it out once a week to hose down, because it would be a real chore.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Wait... wouldn't they rust? They're made of metal, right? I know a lot of people recommend just wiping them down with cloths...

Though, again, i don't have a DCN or a SCN for that matter so they could be rustproof for all i know x3

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wait... wouldn't they rust? They're made of metal, right? I know a lot of people recommend just wiping them down with cloths...

Though, again, i don't have a DCN or a SCN for that matter so they could be rustproof for all i know x3
It would rust if you let it sit there but if you dry it down really well it wouldn't.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It would rust if not wiped down really well right after. And just wiping it down doesn't cut it, there are lots of little cracks I can't reach that can collect urine.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Untreated metal rusts, but pretty much everything is treated these days one way or another. For example, cars made of metal don't rust because they're covered i n paint. In the case of a rat cage, the metal will most of the time be powder coated which prevents rust. Sometimes you'll also see galvanized steel which the galvanizing slows rust, but since galvanized steel has other disadvantages it's not common on rat cages.

On a CN, all the external parts of the metal will be powder coated and I wouldn't worry much about that. The inside of the tubes however will have less protecting them so if water gets inside the tubes, and it will, you could get some rust starting there. Not a problem if you can dry it afterwards.

Wiping down with a cloth is the main way people clean the CN cages not because of rust, but because they're really big and heavy! It's much easier to do a minor cleaning with a cloth in place than to move the cage somewhere you can spray it down thoroughly. When I had a FN, I would pressure wash it about once a year. Wiping with a cloth only works so well, eventually I think it needs a real cleaning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts