Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have 2 male rats and a large cage. Today when i let then free roam i saw blood on my rats for and I noticed a pretty deep cut,nso I think he fell and cut himself on something but I wonder what he fell on because I dont have sharp things in their cage. I took him into the shower and gently tried to clean his wound but he didnt like it at all, since he doesn't really like to be hold for a long time and ofcourse water. I have now put him in a small cage that I had extra so he cant rip his wound more. But like should I go to the vet or does anyone have advice on how to keep the wound clean? Maybe like a product that helps the healing.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
761 Posts
Since it is deep I would go to the vet. Rats can get infections pretty easily and everything is easier to treat when caught early.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we called multiple vets but their isnt any vet around my area, or a further away that knows alot about rats or anything in general.. Since in our country almost no one has pet rats.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
761 Posts
Hmmmm, Is there any way you can try to get in contact with an American vet that could help you?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Where is the wound? Can you pull the skin back and see how deep it is? I would flush with betadine solution, 1-5 parts with water. Flush the wound daily to keep it open so it can heal from the inside. You don't want it to close while it's healing. And watch for any signs of infection. Just my experience with oh so many animals over oh so many years. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I can gently pull his skin to see how deep it is, it's like his first layer of skin. I dont know how to explain, but I'll go to the store tomorrow.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you can't see the muscle, then it's superficial and should heal easily with care. Saline solution, or other sterile solutions like the betadine will help keep it clean. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Odie&Mo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I dont see any muscle it's like his first layer of skin, I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just have a question, I just bought new socks and their completely clean. If I cut one into a little jacket form can I put it on him so he doesn't scratch his wound. And in general to keep it more clean.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would not cover the wound. He will keep it clean and allow it to heal from the inside. Where is it cut btw?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's reallyhard to make a picture because I wont stop moving, but it is healing while I'm keeping it clean, I also dont see any signs of him being sick or a tumor growing underneath it. also his fur is wet because I just bathed him.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts