Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I used to have a smallish cage for my two girls, but recently switched to a rather massive one. Now the rats refuse to come out, and hide in places that I can't easily grab them whenever I open the door. They are absolutely loving the cage - they go crazy, bouncing from hammock to hammock, burrowing in the aspen shavings, or playing together leaping between the driftwood 'trees'. Could it be that they enjoy being in there so much, now they have so much space, that they simply aren't interested in a bit of free roaming? They still come to the cage front when i call them, and they are looking even healthier and happier than I've ever seen them before, so is this a case of them becoming anti-social, or is the cage now big enough for them to simply want to stay there as much as they can?

I really don't mind if they are just so happy in the cage that they have lost interest in going outside, but would hate to think that they were having any issues with it. Anyone had this happen before?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine acted like this when I switched them from a smaller cage to a much bigger one. It only lasted a few days and my more personable girl was back at the bars demanding to see me again. I just hung out in front of the cage with the door open, let them come accept scritches and treats when they wanted to sometimes.
Likely, they are just making their new home theirs, learning its secrets and marking it with their scent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts