Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is almost time to take my rat to the vet for the final visit. How much would a vet typical charge in NYC?Fanta is lonely and depressed. She stays in a little tissue box 98% of the time not using her large cage. She has gotten very skinny. Pretty much only wants to eat soft food. Last I cleaned her cage, and she ran back to her cage in a panic (she only feels safe in her little tissue box) I noticed that her gait is getting stiff and unbalanced. Poor Fanta.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I don't know about NYC but it shouldn't be more than $40. I think I paid $20 to have Bernard PTS. Make sure they sedate the rat before the fatal dose of barbiturate/anaesthetic/etc

·
Registered
20 Posts
It really depends where in NYC you are talking about. NYC vets tend to be verrrrry pricey. (I worked at one for 5 years) I would suggest calling around first. A lot of NYC vets won't even see rats. Poor little baby :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely call around. I had to have my daughter's hedgehog PTS back in September..the price range was anywhere from $18 to $150 depending on the vet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm in Canada and it costs 6$

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may try the animal shelter or SPCA, often time they will take your friend for free or very low price

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Do you have a normal vet that has seen her before? Often the expensive part of euthanasia is the office visit which they'll require to protect themselves and the animal from ethical issues. For me it's about $36 for the actual euthanasia.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately by regular vet's office is temporarily closed because a main burst and flooded the clinic, so he referred me to AMC.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Are there any veterinary medicine schools in NY? There's a big vet school in Davis that we took our boy to for his PTS appointment. We donated his body for study for the students and they waived the fee so it was free. The best part is that they will give us the results of his autopsy and we will get to know the cause of his sickness soon. When they finished, they gave us his body back so we could take him home to bury him. But we also had the option of letting them cremate him there instead.

I imagine a big well known state/city like NY/NYC would maybe have vet schools. You should try calling there to see if they have a clinic that will take your girl. If they don't offer to do it for free if you donate her body, they may at least be cheaper.

Poor girl, I'm sorry you're going through this, it's hard when you have a surviving lone senior..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts