Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two boys for 5 months now who I love to pieces and take good care of. The problem is they just aint interested in me, theyre happy to be out of their cage only for a while and will crawl on me for a few seconds if we are on the floor but will run if they think im go to scoop them up, and its not because they want to stay out. Food doesnt interest them outside the cage either. They seem afraid of what im about to do next even though iv never harmed them. I thught they would grow out of this and I'd eventually be able to train them but I cant

Any advice?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
On the "rat behavior" section of the forum you can find a sticky at the top called "immersion" i'd try. Its essentially you taking them to a small enclosed space with nowhere to hide and bondinng for a few hours. i would just handle them as much as you can during this time.

i will say, my boys dont care for food when theyre exploring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My old gal didn't like me at all when she was about that age. Her sister had bonded with me, but she hadn't/didn't want to. I would sit down for a movie and put just her on the couch with me. About halfway through the movie, she would run out of things to explore and come cuddle with me. Now that she's a senior senior citizen, all she wants to do is hang out with me. I think some rats just take time to open up. She still isn't interested in food outside of her cage unless she's been out a while and is about to fall asleep, then she'll cuddle up to a broccoli piece and take a nibble or two out of it.

I had these two other rats that I got around that age and they were entirely bonded to each other. I was never able to bond with them, but they had very poor breeding and came from a home with hundreds of rats which were chased around by cats and dogs all day. I think they were the extreme, and it would be rare to have some that don't care about people as much as they did. Try taking them out at different times?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts