Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have had my girls since they were babies(they are about 7 months old now) and about 15-18 days ago(just a guess) my girls got loose when my boys were out. One female was breeding with the male and the other was just climbing around by her cage. Anways I prayed she wasnt prego but in the last few days her tummy has gotten bigger. My mom thinks she definatly prego so I researched stuff and put them in a 20 gal aquarium and have been feeding her stuff high in protien along with her regular rat food. So what else should I do?? Please dont get mad at me I did not breed them on purpose(BELIEVE me I dont think I'd ever do that on purpose because I have enough animals as it is and with christmas time right around the corner). I just want to make sure she and the babies are ok. I attached some pics I just took of her today. Thanks for everyones help!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Sorry some of the pics suck...its the best I could do. These were all taken today by the way

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh ya some of the pics looks like I'm squeezing her but I swear I'm not she was just squirming around lol

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well those nipples look very.....nipply? since the hair has fallen out around them, she definitely looks big, do you have any pics of a few weeks ago, like before the incident?

·
Registered
113 Posts
She looks pregant to me. I'm no expert, so don't take my word as the one you shuould listen to. But since her nipples are pretty visible in some of the pics, I'd bet she's definatly going to have some babies soon.

My Rem wouldn't let me hold her while I took pictures of her belly (I'm trying to figure out if she's preggo too) so I just let her wander aournd my desk and I waited for her to stand on her hind legs.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
definately a difference, i think you might have some babies on your hands, sounds like you know what you're doing, we are going to need pictures of these babies you know......

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
she looks very pregnant to me. but i'm unsure about what it is you want to know. do you have any specific questions? there's a lot of information on this subject in this section if you scroll through it some. ignore the ethics debate as you already seem to have a grasp on that. but there is a lot of other information from pregnancy to baby care up until they are weaned. i think there may even be tips on advertising the babies for their new homes but i'm not sure.

on that note, you will want to start advertising these babies ASAP. even before they are born, getting the word out about them in the online rat communities will help.

an alternative to all this of course is an e-spay. they can be costly but a litter is typically going to cost more in the long run if you run the math of the extra expense, especially if you run into problems. i'm not saying you have to do this but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha dont worry I will definatly take pictures of them each day. Since its only been 15-18 days do you think she has a big litter in her tummy or is it normal to get that big so early on in her pregnancy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh ok I will scroll through the other ones and read them thanks. Umm I'm not sure about the e-spay thing..I highly disagree with that...Just like I do not believe in abortion at all. Since I am able to care for the babies untill I fnd them homes why kill them when they have a shot at life.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
then that is your decision, so long as you can provide for them and feel confident in finding them a good forever home, then all the more power to you. like i said, it was something to consider where finances and such are concerned, not something that HAS to be done.

at 15-18 days in she's not that early in pregnancy, i'd say mid to late actually. gestation is only 21-23 days.

i'll be looking forward for the baby pictures. as far as how many she'll have, i can't say. some rats will have huge bellies then only have 3 or babies. others will be the opposite. average litter size is around 12 but the range is anywhere from 1 to 21 i believe was the record.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh ok well thanks for the suggestion.

Ya I guess your right its not that early in her pregnancy. *slaps self* duh i knew that one lol...

Well I will definatly put pictures up of the babies so prepare yourselves for cuteness!! Lol..

Wow I really hope she has no more then 12..but if she does then that is fine by me I just migh have to get myself a bigger cage lol. I hope she has about 8...thats a perfect amount. I am prepared to keep them untill I find them homes that is no problem. I love rats they are the best pets ever so the more the marryer(sadly my mom probably wont let me keep them all haha...oh well I would if I could). I will keep a daily update with pics of her belly and news on how she is. Then when/if the babies come I will be sure to put pictures up every day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wait, you're in AZ? WHERE! I'm in Arizona too, and if my Rem isn't preggo and doesn't have babies, I *may* (don't count on it tough) be able to get a couple from you when they are old enough! But that entirely depends on if my mom will let me have more rats or not.
I'm really looking forwards to pics of the babies when they come. And what color is the father? I'm a sucker for hoodies, barebacks and berks ^^

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow your in AZ?? I'm in Glendale. Where are you?? The father is all black except he has a white blaze on his face..hes a sweety!! The mommas sister is a hooded i believe except she has a few spots on her belly so I dunno if she wold still be called one. Anyways since both the parents are black and white I'm assuming the babies will be too but dont know the bloodlines so i guess I'm not for sure. Ya Definatly keep you updated and if your ratty doesnt have babies you can take a few of mine. I'm still thinking of what to adopt them out for because I dont want to adopt them out for too much money but I def dont want to adopt them out for too litle money(just to prevent them from being eaten).. What do you guys think is a fair price to adopt them out for?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok ok let me try this one more time... I MENT the mammas sister is a BAREBACK not a hooded...*slaps self* I'm sorry I'm retarted today...lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
PEORIA! I can see the Cardinal's statium from my bedroom window, if that helps give you a rough location. I work at the hockey arena so it takes me about 7-10 minutes to get there.
As for the adoption price... I have no clue XD
The humane scociety charges $5-15 for their small critters, but I'd get a few more answers from the people here before I set a price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OMG thats sooo cool. I live near happy valley and the 101(like right by the juvenille). Yah I was thinkind around $10 maybe $15 for a pair but I want more opions from everybody else too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts