Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is so long but please read. I really need help.
On November 20th when i weighed Willow she was 289g and then December 5th she broke her back right leg and got a bruise on her left ear while i wasnt home all day. I was giving her infant tylenol and keeping her in an aquarium so she couldnt climb with her broken foot and she was fine for awhile. The bruise cleared up fine. She just wasnt using her that leg. Then on December 18th she weighed 274g.

About a week ago her leg seemed to be heeled but she still wasnt using it at all and she drags it around. It think she has no feeling in her foot at all anymore. Her ankle doesnt bend down as far as it used to and she didnt seem to be in any pain so i put her back in the cage with my other 2 rats. I have the all living things multi level cage thats like the critter nation.

A few days ago i noticed that now shes dragging the whole back part of her body around and like pushing her self forward with her left back foot but her front legs and hands work fine. She seems to only sleep on her side now and seems depressed. One day her stomach was hard and i weighed her again and shes now 308g. She still comes to the door as fast as she when she hears me with the jar i keep their treats in. Ive got everything she needs on the bottom floor of the cage now so she doesnt need to climb but shes still climbing and i dont want to put her back in the aquarium if i dont need to because she didnt like being in there at all

This whole time shes been eating, drinking, peeing and pooping fine. Shes never weighed more than 290g before now. She only turned a year old sometime in November. I cant afford to take her to the vet. My boyfriend just finished paying off his college tuition and we had to spend almost $800 fixing the car about 2 weeks ago. Ive been trying hard to help her but i dont know what else i can do. Is there any medicine i could buy for her or anything i could do?

In the picture she had climbed on top of that dish and rolled off of it into that position and starting eating on her side like that. The picture was taken january 2nd

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are quite a few things that could be wrong and ill list them for you...
1) she fell and somehow twisted her spine in a way that paralized her leg, then somehow (maybe accidently twisting it more) paralized her other leg too. This condition is managable especially if she can urinate and defecate without making a mess on herself. Sometimes a vet can prescribe a steroid to try to release pressure on the spine that is causing the paralization but this doesnt always work.
2) she could have a pituitary tumor (I lost a boy last year to this) which will start out with paralyzing of limbs, usually the front legs but it can happen with the back legs (in my case my boy's back legs were paralyzed). You can read online about other symptoms for this in rats, there are quite a lot. This condition is fatal.
3) If she is a senior rat it could just be age, she could be losing mobility which happens quite a lot for older ratties and it is manageable as well.

When rats become paralized there isnt a whole lot you can do, if she isnt in pain then its a very manageable condition. The weight gain may just be since she isnt as mobile as she used to be she isnt as active as she used to so shes just gaining a little weight. TO be honest it would be more worrisome if she was losing weight, that would mean she isnt eating and that is a bad sign in animals.

This is all I know, basically from research ive done when my boy started becoming paralized and after I had come to the conclusion that he had a pituitary tumor (he was just about 1.5 years). He first started showing signs with inability in using his back legs to full paralyzation and he went down hill for probably about 3 weeks before the tumor got too big and eventually became fatal. The only good thing about this kind of tumor is that it is not painful for them, however I had lots of free time to take care of him every couple hours and I didnt mind that, otherwise I would have put him to sleep (he had lost the ability to control his bowel movements and urinated on himself so every couple hours I had to clean him up, it was a lot of work).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts