Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the pair of DCNs I ordered from Dr Foster & Smith last week and while I was putting it together I've noticed quite a few problems. The bottom pan was broken. No big deal, I wanted to replace them with metal ones anyway, but it would have been nice to have the plastic ones that came with it as backup. The bigger issues were that one of the square slots on one of the door panels didn't have the plastic placeholder piece in it and was bent almost flat. It took over an hour to get it to where I could bend it back into being close to the shape it was supposed to be in, but not before chipping off some of the coating. I got the rest together, then went to put the top on, and the top is warped to the point where one of the corners won't lay flush and it springs up at least 1/4 of an inch when the other three corners are down. And the shelves. I cannot for the life of me get the shelves level. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing? When I put them on and seat the hooks all the way into the slots so that the wire underneath sits against the side bars and prevents the shelf from wobbling, the shelf tilts at a terrible upward angle. If I put them in at a different angle to make the shelves level, it's like a spring board. I don't know if this is a manufacturing flaw or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Any ideas? I almost want to take the entire cage apart and send it back for a replacement, but I'm really trying to avoid it. Mostly because I don't even know if I can get the cage apart now. :confused:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would personally send for a replacement. That seems like there's too many problems and it's just ridiculous. My CN came with its own problems too... I was missing one of the holes for the door peg to fit into. My dad had to drill one in. Honestly, I don't know of we're just the exceptions or if this is normal...

EDIT: Also, my shelf was pretty hard to get in too. It wasn't at a really, really bad angle, but it definitely wasn't flat. I had to fiddle with it a lot to get it to sit properly.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I would send pics to drsfoster&smith and see what they can do for you. If not them, then try midwest.

Mine had chipped coating and one of the "squares" (like you said) was bent flat. I was able to get that hammered back out, but the chipped coating annoys me. For something that is so expensive, you'd figure they could do a better job packaging so that it won't get chipped / bent, etc.

My top plastic pan also cracked about 2 weeks after purchase.. So I'm not impressed with the quality of those at all (it cracked just from me using binder clips to attach the fleece to it).

I use the bass stainless steel pans now and love them, but otherwise I would have contacted midwest to see if they would replace the plastic pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The customer service lady at DF&S was pretty helpful today. I went ahead and used as many of the good parts from both cages I ordered to make one complete cage and I'm going to send all the defective stuff back, because there was actually a lot more when I opened the second box, including some broken welds. -sigh- I really like the cage once it's actually put together from functional parts, I just wish they could figure out a better way to pack them in the box, or even several boxes, so that they would be less likely to be damaged in shipping.

Now the big problem I'm having is with the ramp that goes to the upper level. How on earth do you turn that into a door? And isn't it supposed to sit level in the pan for the shelf? Because the lip of the pan is so wide that the only way for the ramp to sit in it without sitting on the lip is sort of cockeyed. I don't think I installed it wrong? I'll try to get some pictures of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Dont... Use the bottom pan in the top to make a "floor". Or flip the hole in the top pan so that it is not open where the opening in the bars is. I ordered an extra bottom pan just for that purpose and used one on each level so that it was split into 2 cages.

I'm glad they could help you out on this. Hopefully they can send you a second cage back that is in good order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts