Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Grizz into the vet last week and got her on some antibiotics. (yay!) This new vet seems a lot more knowledgeable and I feel much better about the whole thing now.
She took the time to look Grizz over as well as Lee, and said that aside from Grizz's URI, they were looking pretty good... except for their teeth.

She said both of their teeth are longer than they should be and that Lee's were much worse. I'm kind of at a loss. They have tons of access to hard things to chew on, and I was told that they kept them ground down themselves anyway. I'm not sure what else I should be doing, and the vet said that if Lee's teeth don't get down they'll need to be trimmed which frankly sounds horrific.
What do I do? Should I be doing anything different? The girls have hard wood (apple) and I give them bones, plus I hear them grinding their teeth on their own.

·
Registered
425 Posts
From what I know about it tooth trimming isn't any worse than nail trimming for rats. And it is possible that their teeth are misalligned so they will have a harder time keeping them evenly worn down. Maybe you could post a pic of their teeth? I will try and get a good picture of my rats' teeth, for comparison. (my vet says that their teeth are at a good length.) I cannot think of anything else that would help them wear their teeth down with... good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I am not in the same state as my rats presently, but I'll try for some pictures when I see them on Thursday!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah my girls were pretty squirmy at the vet when she was trying to get a look at them.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id be suspicious of this. As long as the rats teeth meet and have an even straight cutting edge they ate likley to be fine. Rats teeth length can vary and if your not used to it out can surprise you on some.

Unfortunately tooth trimming can cause problems. The teeth can break unevenly in some cases or split and this can actually cause more problems than it fixes. j would only have my rats teeth trimmed if they had malaclusions (wonky teeth) or showed difficulty in eating. When a rats teeth are malacluded is fairly obvious as they don't meet properly and go off at different angles or splay badly

They don't need to chew things to keep thete teeth short, that's what bruxing is for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts