Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I am going to hit the "Submit" button once, and only that button, and see what happens.<br><br>I had to take Beau to the vet a while ago and found out he weighed 1.5 lbs! And not full grown! So I reduced their rations, eliminated seeds and sweets, and put in more veg and a little less fruit. Both ratties have lost weight. But they seem to be completely obsessed with food now. Beau, especially, is neurotic about it. Marcellus will sniff a treat a few times before grabbing it. Beau snatches it away and runs to a corner. I have made some food toys for them--containers with holes that "dispense" food if the rattie rolls it or pushes it around. When I put one in the cage, Beau barrels to it, finds a hold for his teeth, and drags it into his tissue box, and attacks it fiercely. Problem is, Marcellus isn't so anxious, so gets less. Worst of all, Beau attacks Marcellus for real if Marcellus tries to take or share the food or the container. Today he had him cornered in a 4" x 4" x 8" box--one of their hidey places. I separated them, then split the cage with Mar above and Beau below. It's still that way. Both have water.<br><br>I can't figure out how much to feed them. The get Oxbow Regal Rat Adult Rat Food, and I like to give them a few other things they love for variety and naturalness: they love steel-cut oats, raw or cooked millet, honey-nut Cheerios, egg, carrot, broccoli stems, peas, cherry tomatoes, grapes, banana, apple, watermelon rinds, and other fruit. They adore pumpkin seeds, but I reserve them now for very special treats. Right now I am giving them around 20-25 Oxbow chips per day, along with two or three egg/veg or fruit treats, e.g., one grape each, one grape tomato each. I also give them bits of roast turkey cold cuts--pieces about 3/4" square, and a teaspoon of plain yoghurt now and then. Before, I made sure there was always food in their dish, but now they empty the dish very fast. Oh, I also give them about one teaspoon of olive oil per week. I read that study where olive oil doubled some ratties' lifespans. They love it! Can anybody advise me on a diet? I have researched the calorie and nutrient content of most of their foods. Thanks! Raq

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems like you have already supplied a very nutritious and versatile diet. Make sure they have many opportunities to work off any excess calories they consume with play. increasing their activity level may stave off some of the tussling they seem to be doing.

With the tussling, that may be attributed to the limiting resource of food that has happened. They went from a world of constant food and a stress free world to limited rations. Once they see that the food amount will remain the same, they may stop the aggression to one another. for more info you can always try Ratguide.com.

it is my favorite website to look up any rat issues I have.

Good luck with the little ones!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I went to Ratguide and downloaded a long list of essential nutrients. Not sure I understand all the units, but I'll work on it. For the moment, I'm taking them off the diet so that the aggression stops. I'll probably consult with a vet when I'm back from my trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts