Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't been on rat forum for a while, I'm thinking of either getting the add on level for my DCN or a separate cage for an aggressive rat I have she is an a lone rat. My reason being is I have five in one level and feel bad for them and would love to be able to give them the space of a full DCN but then I have my lone rat so she would need the third level.

I am looking for pros and cons of having three levels. Also if you know of any separate cages that don't take up a lot of floor space but still gives a rat lots of space please recommend.

A little back ground on Abby, I had her and four other cage mates, she got along with them and accepted two of them where she was my third. I got a rat named Bambi and all Abby's cage mates liked her accept for Abby who bit the side of her face as soon as she met her. I did to intros in a neutral area with switching scents. So instead of taking Abby's cage mates I got Bambi a friend named Willow. Abby's cage mates have all past over the past year and she is still alone and will not accept others. Now I have five three girls and two boys that are housed together and Abby on her own. I have tried with the other ones to try and introduce them with Abby but she still bites them.

It's not a little bite either as soon as she smells their scent even if she doesn't see them, she puffs up and huffs and runs around trying to find them and if something has their scent she attacks it. They have all had bites from her getting their tails, and Willow has had a bite on her side.

So I am not interested in doing intros again. Just looking for opinions on the add on or another cage and pros and cons.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
425 Posts
One thing I would guess you might want to think about would be whether or not you'd be able to reach the third level... because it looks like even a DCN is pretty tall...

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would think a three level CN would be difficult to maneuver. You could leave off the bottom shelf to reduce the height. Make sure you get heavy duty wheels if you do this. The wheels that come with the DCN are not really heavy enough for just two levels. I know a few people here do have three level CNs. Hopefully some of them will comment.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might also look into a single DCN to put beside it, I do think the hight would be an issue thinking about it more im 5'3" and the DCN is taller then me now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts