Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard people mention this before and was curious... Do any of you protect your walls right behind your DCN and if so, what do you use and is your cage kept right against the wall?

I haven't been doing this with my DCN, but I keep the cage about 6-8" off the wall just in case. I haven't noticed any odor per say, but I'm not sure if it would be obvious if they were spraying on the wall.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I do with my SRS (similar cage). Currently i've got some thick plastic sheeting (actually a floor runner) fastened to the back with some wire ties. When I'm more organised i use perspex sheeting cut to size and fastened to the wall. I can then put the cage right up to the wall without any mess.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I may have to consider doing this with mine. Now that I have 2 (and on different walls in the same room) they seem to take up so much space with them 6-8" out from the wall. Putting them right up against the wall would help with that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I noticed when I moved out of my mom's a few weeks ago that when the room was empty you could tell where the cage had been because even washing the wall wasnt enough to remove the stains where they did spray the wall. My mom had difficulty painting over it too. Because of that I sewed fleece with loops to cover the back and side of the cage that is long enough to attach under the cage to catch poop and litter that falls out those sides. So far my rats haven't bothered it or tried to pull it in. I can attach a picture later if you would like.

·
Registered
322 Posts
While staying with some friends while in the middle of moving we actually taped a clear shower curtain behind the wall (cut to DCN size) because they were worried about damaging it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts