Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this hadn't happened to one of my girls tonight, I would've never thought about it. So hopefully by making you all aware of what can happen, you'll check your hammocks for wear & tear and either repair or remove before they can cause injury.

Just a little while ago, I was sitting here watching TV when I heard squeaks coming from the cage. At first I thought it was just Anya and Buffy wrestling again because they'd been at it earlier. But the squeaks became more urgent and I'd never heard that before so I quickly got up to check on them to see what was going on. To my horror, Anya was hanging upside down with her leg caught up in a chewed hole in the hammock. I grabbed her up to take the pressure off her leg and tried to remove it, but she was panicking and had gotten it wound so tight that I couldn't get it off. I yelled for my daughter to bring me some scissors while I tried to hold on to Anya who was desperately trying to free herself. All the while she was screeching in panic and I was scared for how badly her leg would be injured once I was able to free her. The threads of the chewed portion of the hammock were wound so tightly around her ankle that there was no way I could get the scissors in and cut her free, so I just cut the hammock. When I had her free, I sat down on the couch with her and she was completely calm now and allowed me to cut away the rest of the hammock from around her leg.

She crawled up under my chin to cuddle while she recovered and while I stopped shaking. I let her sit there for a few minutes until we both calmed down some and then I checked her leg better. It doesn't appear broken or dislocated but it's definitely bruised and already swelling some. I wish there was a way for me to keep some ice on it but I don't think she'll sit still for that.

I held her for about a half hour until she started acting normally again. When I went to put her back in the cage, she was afraid to go back in there. Poor baby. That experience really traumatized her. She's walking fine, no limping, but I'm sure it's gonna sore for a few days. I'm just glad I got to her so fast. If that had happened while I wasn't home, it could've had a very tragic outcome. I don't even like to think about it.

It was such a fluke accident. But I wanted to tell you all to check your hammocks and if there are any chew holes that a foot or leg could get hung up in, please be aware of what could happen.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Your poor girl - I'm so glad everyone is alright, and that she didn't strain or pull anything too bad. I have to ask - what material was the hammock made out of, and was it a singular layer of material or multiple?

I know some people always use double layered stuff... and I never even thought about it being a benefit... but maybe it could stop something like this?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your poor girl - I'm so glad everyone is alright, and that she didn't strain or pull anything too bad. I have to ask - what material was the hammock made out of, and was it a singular layer of material or multiple?

I know some people always use double layered stuff... and I never even thought about it being a benefit... but maybe it could stop something like this?
It was double layer fleece and it's one of the ones that I made for them. I've actually made all their hammocks and beds since the first few I bought for them when I first got them, were chewed up in a matter of days. I decided to stop spending $15-$20 a piece on hammocks that were gonna end up being chewed up when I can sew them myself just as easily and a lot cheaper.

This was one of their favorite hammocks that they've had a long time but they had chewed the edges a bit and that's where Anya got her leg hung up. I guess her foot fell through the hole when she went to jump down. She panicked and started twisting and got it even more wound around her leg.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Children's ibuprofen will help with the swelling and pain. Thanks for that heads up, I'll be sure to patch up any holes I find.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah my boys used to have a tunnel but they chewed the fabric around the opening and they almost fell out a couple times so I had to take it away from them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Children's ibuprofen will help with the swelling and pain. Thanks for that heads up, I'll be sure to patch up any holes I find.
Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking. I looked up the dosing but I want to be sure I'm correct. It said 10mg/kg but my girls are just 16 weeks old so I doubt they even weigh a kilo yet. I was thinking I should half that dose. What do you think? I suspect her leg is going to be really badly bruised and swollen tomorrow since it was already starting tonight. I'd like to make her comfortable.

·
Registered
270 Posts
so I doubt they even weigh a kilo yet
If your rats weighed a kilo they'd probably have trouble moving! A fully grown male should weigh around half a kilo, females less.

Thanks for the tip on he hammock, we'll keep an eye on ours, but so far they only chew the straps. Luckily the hammock is above a shelf so the risk of a tumble is low even when they take out a strap.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your rats weighed a kilo they'd probably have trouble moving! A fully grown male should weigh around half a kilo, females less.

Thanks for the tip on he hammock, we'll keep an eye on ours, but so far they only chew the straps. Luckily the hammock is above a shelf so the risk of a tumble is low even when they take out a strap.
I guess my knowledge of the metric system isn't too good. LOL I was thinking 1 lb = 2.2 kg. And my girls surely aren't a half a pound yet. I've got a postage scale I need to dig out and weigh them.

Also, the hammock that Anya jumped out of when she got her leg hung up is also above a shelf so it's not a far jump. It's just that her foot fell thru a hole and when she tried to jump out, her leg was hung up in the hole in the hammock which made her panic and began thrashing around wildly getting it even more twisted.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, you just had it backwards, a kilo is 2.2 pounds.
You're right! I seem to always get that backwards for some reason!

Well I am happy to report that Anya's leg looked really good this morning! Surprisingly, there is NO bruising, which I was sure it would be black & blue since it looked like it was already starting to bruise last night just a few minutes after the accident. There was mild swelling but it was hardly noticeable. The only way I could tell really is when I held her up and saw that her left leg looked a little fatter than her right. She's walking on it fine but she's definitely being a little more tentative on it. She's not bouncing all over the place like she usually does, so I do think it's probably a little sore. But she's really not limping, so I think she's gonna be fine. I'm so thankful I was home when it happened and was able to get to her so quickly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You're right! I seem to always get that backwards for some reason!

Well I am happy to report that Anya's leg looked really good this morning! Surprisingly, there is NO bruising, which I was sure it would be black & blue since it looked like it was already starting to bruise last night just a few minutes after the accident. There was mild swelling but it was hardly noticeable. The only way I could tell really is when I held her up and saw that her left leg looked a little fatter than her right. She's walking on it fine but she's definitely being a little more tentative on it. She's not bouncing all over the place like she usually does, so I do think it's probably a little sore. But she's really not limping, so I think she's gonna be fine. I'm so thankful I was home when it happened and was able to get to her so quickly.
Thank goodness.

Yeah, in decades of dog ownership, I'd never had a near-catastrophe with dog collars, since I always use well-fitted flat buckle collars, but one day a few years ago, my two Dobermans were wrestling and play-jousting, right in front of me, not three feet away, when one got her jaw and teeth stuck under the collar of the other, and without going into horrifying details, I nearly, very, very nearly, had one dead dog and one with a broken jaw.

It happened that fast, and if I hadn't been there, I would have come home to a nightmare.

Prayers of gratitude, that sometimes these things do happen when we're there, and can save the day--and it becomes a teachable moment we can pass on to others.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank goodness.

Yeah, in decades of dog ownership, I'd never had a near-catastrophe with dog collars, since I always use well-fitted flat buckle collars, but one day a few years ago, my two Dobermans were wrestling and play-jousting, right in front of me, not three feet away, when one got her jaw and teeth stuck under the collar of the other, and without going into horrifying details, I nearly, very, very nearly, had one dead dog and one with a broken jaw.

It happened that fast, and if I hadn't been there, I would have come home to a nightmare.

Prayers of gratitude, that sometimes these things do happen when we're there, and can save the day--and it becomes a teachable moment we can pass on to others.
So true! I had a similar incident with a dog several years ago. I usually didn't ever leave their collars on but I had just finished walking her and had to pee and was anxious to get dinner started, so I just took the leash off and let her loose in the backyard without taking off her collar. A few minutes later I heard her crying and carrying on and had no idea what was going on so I took off running to the back yard. She liked to interact with the dog next door and had somehow gotten her collar hung up on the under side of the fence and it was strangling her! And this was SUPPOSED to be one of those safety break away collars but it did NOT break away. I couldn't get her free and I started to panic because I just knew she was going to die right in front of me. I finally just stuck my hand under the fence and found the latch of her collar and released it and was able to free her. My hand was cut to pieces from the fence but at least my dog wasn't dead. I learned my lesson and she never wore a collar unsupervised again. You just can't predict the dangerous situations our furbabies can get themselves into. Another situation where thank God I was home!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts