Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor rattie
I am almost positive my rat has mites. I have had him a lil over a month now. Accidently became his mommy. Anyhow, he is timid and shy and scared half to death most time but I a able to handle him and he does no bite.
So last night I noticed that he was flipping out in cage. Very jumpy and freaking out. Probably a bad idea in hindsight but I took him out of cage and he flipped out bad. He scratched the living crap out of me on my neck and jumped down (I am 5'11 tall) and hit the floor running. Man it hurt and it freaked me out bad. He is doing fine but he is a bit more jumpy than normal. I feel so bad for him. I am goin to go and get some mite meds for him today and hopefully that will help him feel calmer too. Pray that my new boy will calm down n feel better soon. Also that he can become a calmer and happier rat boy! I have plenty of time t spend with him and I am trying to learn how to best deal with his issues. I got some great info and links to help from someone at rattie ratz!

Lin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Lin, is he your only rat? I'm sure you've seen this all over the place but if that is the case, you may find he calms down a lot with a companion. My two ratties were bought separately but on the same day. They were so jumpy and afraid and distrustful of me until I put them together. They were so happy to have company that they became like different rats, even friendlier towards me. Alone they were very visibly depressed.

Of course if he has mites you'd still want to treat him and his cage/bedding before getting him a companion, and you still want to take it slow with the introduction, but you may find all he needs is ratty company to open up to you more. At least that was my own (limited) experience with my rats. ^_^

1 - 2 of 2 Posts