Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise/insight from some more experienced ratty owners.

Last night I had Alfie out with the babies (he just LOVES babies), and Ryker and Houdini got into a throw down drag out brawl. I'm not sure who started it, but Ryker finished it. It went on for maybe a full minute (hard to tell when you're on the edge of your seat watching it going on). Houdini ended up with a scratch, Ryker is without any battle injuries. When I had Ryker out I fussed with him, harassed him a bit, and he rolled over for me, submitting pretty quickly. Houdini didn't as easily, and it took a lot longer. When I put everyone back in their cage the boys basically avoided each other until it was treat time. I hung out in the room for a while, and then checked on them several times before bed, no more fights and everyone seemed calm.

When I put Alfie back he did flip Ryker onto his back and force groom him, but it didn't last long and Ryker gave in quickly.

I could neuter the younger boys, but that's really a last resort. I just lost Fergus due to complications after his neuter and I would be completely crushed to have it happen again.

Ryker and Houdini are 7 months old, so they are going through puberty. Alfie is a year and half, almost 2.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I am a bit confused on your post sorry :) Let me see if I have this right...

All 3 boys live in the same cage? The babies are?...

You took Alfie out of the cage but left the other two in the cage, where they got into a fight.

If I am right, then it seems like Alfie is probably the more bossier rat. He likely keeps the other two in check. When he is away they may get into a spat. It may have also been the fact that they were a bit excited because Alfie was out of the cage as well as babies but they were trapped in the cage :( I would compare it to boundry or leash frustration in dogs. It just gets them a bit riled up and could lead to a fight.

If there is no blood or injuries then it is fine to just let them work it out. In this case if it is not happening other times then I wouldn't even worry about it. Maybe don't leave them in the cage alone anymore :) If it does start happening other times then you may need to separate them.

I have 7 males, (3 are still young) but only 2 of them have gotten aggressive. It just happens with some boys. My two I decided not to neuter them because of their age and now instead they live by themselves :( So that is an option. Not an ideal one. My one boy has been quite depressed from it, though he is the biggest jerk of them all and will straight up try to kill everyone else.

But anyways yeah, I would just wait and see if it keeps happening and if it gets worse and then think about what to do then. Having a second cage just in case you need to separate is a good idea though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AH - Sorry! I can see how that was confusing.. My apologies.

I forget I don't post here often.

I have a total of six rats now. The three "older" boys are Alfie, Ryker and Houdini. Alfie is in between a 1.5 and 2 years old. Ryker and Houdini are litter mates and are 7 months old All three boys are in my Prevue Feisty Ferret cage.
This past weekend I got three new babies from a breeder near me. They are in my spare Any Living Things rat starter cage (the FF's bars are too big for the little guys yet). So I had Alfie out with the new babies on the bed, while Houdini and Ryker were still in their regular cage.

I was also thinking that since Fergus passed Ryker and Houdini are bickering over whose going to be the Beta now. Fergus was my #2 boy, and the whole reason he was getting neutered was because Alfie and he were drawing blood in their fights.

I should also mentioned, I've had Alfie out of the cage and left the other two boys in there before with no issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts