Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a rat with a pulled muscle?

I have 2 girls, Pea is a runt and a tiny little thing, even at 7mo, and she was always the one who had us worried, but I got home yesterday to Carrot clenching her front paw.
Its definitly not broken, I cant feel a break, and past experience says that she will scream her little head off if she is in pain (she got her tail caught a couple of months ago). She lets me touch the paw, and open it up, and she is kinda using it, its just all clenched up and she doesnt want to put weight on it.

She still manages to get up and down in her cage, she isnt off food, and she still climbs on everything so im not too worried yet, but im just wondering how common this is? Their cage isnt that high, and the most likely cause of injury is that Pea threw her off a hammock in one of their girl fights, which is only about a 6 inch drop.

Im thinking maybe a pulled muscle, or a sprain? Any suggestions?

(I'm waiting to see what she is like this afternoon before I call a vet. If she was in pain id have taken her straight away)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
is thereany swelling or redness or a cut? that could be a sign of an abcess. will she let you move the paw and leg around without jerking back or making sound? if not it could be a fracture, they're hard to feel for but sometimes more painful then a break. i suggest taking her into the vet for a checkup, they'll probably want an x-ray. in the meantime you could get a magic bag and either freeze it if their swelling or nuke it to heat it if there's no swelling. lay it in you lap then lay the rat on it as well. try to keep her there with treats and loves and it should help releave some of the discomfort.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.
Theres no swelling or anything, it all looks normal, and she lets you touch it without any pulling away or squealing. Il try her with the heatpack tonight. If it gets no better il get her to a vet. I think she would appreciate a break from her sister jumping on her and stuff too, so i will think about seperating them for a while tonight.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last night she hobbled out of her cage looking all sorry for herself and then she was fine and started running around on all 4 feet as soon as food was mentioned.
I guess it was a false alarm.
Thanks anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts