Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was sitting on the floor with my hand out, BB was smelling it, and she just bit it and then just waltsed back into her cage, went into her sleeping corner and fell asleep. I just hate that she went unpunished and I would like to know what punishments there are to help me control her biting, and her just not even coming to me, she never does anymore. Would getting another girl help? I only have one because this is my first rat and I don't think I could control 2. I can barely control BB, so, any advice would be appreciated and I hope to one day not fear my own rat and to also own 2 rats or more.
Thanks! :)
PS. What would I use for treats wehn she is good? I went to the Bethany Feed And Seed with my mom and friend and we got some Vitamin C Yogurt Drops. I also will sometimes give her the tips of carrots and have started to feed her the ocasional thawed out frozen corn or pea's. I give her these Pellets for food and she has eaten a few so I know she likes them.
Please help me with my rat problem
Also, I will ask alot of questions at this forum as I look to it for advice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes, for the love of your ratty get another girlie.

Rats need each other, that may be why she's biting. Get another rat, but don't just plop them in the smae cage instantly. there are steps to go through but please do get another rat. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Rats are very sociable animals and before they get used to you they need to get use to their surroundings and things like that. She seems to be more comfortable staying in her cage. Try taking her away from her cage, maybe in a different room. Hold her, play with her, let her smell around and when she gets frightened she will run to you...not her cage. She will learn that YOU are her protection and she'll learn that you are where she can go for comfort. This worked with one of my boys. Rats are very sociable animals. Having a second rat is always a good idea. But Vixie is right! There are steps to adding a new ratty in. BB already knows her cage; everything in there belongs to her. Adding a new addition in may cause her to be territorial and she might fight for it. I’m not going to go through and tell you how to do it right now cuz there is a lot to say and I’m sure your still just thinking about adding another. hehe, but there are a lot of threads about how to add a new ratty in. You should never be scared of your own rat. She NEEDS to know that your not there to hurt her. I don;t know how to go about punishments really, other than putting them back in their cage (and even that isnt much of a punishment). I don't think rats can really be punished, some people I have heard, use a spray bottle. Say if their rats are chewing on something they arn't suppose to be chewing on, like a curtain, they would spray them. I don;t think you need to go that far though...thats kinda mean to me lol. When my boys are doing something they arn;t supoose to be doing I will just say there name kinda loud and tell them that there being bad ( Rats don't understand english in shure but they do know the difference between a nice voice and a bad voice) and usually they would stop and run to me as fast as their little feet can take them. Rats love rewards! If you teach her that not biting is good and you reward her for it...she'll learn. If a rat knows they'll get a treat for something, they will pretty much do anything for it. LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts