Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem odd, but can rats push another rat out of their "group"?

I have the feeling that Roxy and Doris are pushing Dotty out of cuddle up time :(
I regularly see Roxy and Doris in the fluffy hammock together and Dotty is either sitting on her perch waiting for me to go talk to her, or sleeping in the flower pot by herself. Like at the moment they are all in the flower pot, Doris and Roxy cuddled up together while Dotty is sprawled out on top of them (Altho saying that I did see D & D cuddled up together the other day in the flower pot).

I don't know if they're all together in the day as I go to work, but when I peek in at them when I get back it seems to be as I've said above.
I'd hate for one of my babies to be pushed out and feel unloved by her cage mates. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
This may be all my imagination, but I'm going to keep a watchful eye over them for the next few days.

I'd just thought I'd also add that Dotty seems to be the main rat that I get out, Roxy does come out but she tends to run back into the cage when I go to grab her. Could Dotty being "mommy's favourite" add to this...?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Maybe she just likes being alone? I have one who would rather be in his own hammock by himself most of the time.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forensic said:
Maybe she just likes being alone? I have one who would rather be in his own hammock by himself most of the time.
I never thought of that. But it's only started to happen recently and as it's cold, I don't want my baby to be pushed out and left in the chill.
I've recieved their hanging igloo that I brought them for christmas today which can fit upto 5 rats in it, so I'm hoping that now that they have a bigger bed, they'll all become friends again.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Maybe she's (like Forensic said) a loner? In the best sense of the word. Some of mine get like that at times - there will be 3 curled up in bed together and one curled up on the other side of the cage without bedding, sleeping happily away. I think if she wants to be alone, there'll be no forcing her. But gentle encouragement to interract with the other two will never go amis

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ration1802 said:
Maybe she's (like Forensic said) a loner? In the best sense of the word. Some of mine get like that at times - there will be 3 curled up in bed together and one curled up on the other side of the cage without bedding, sleeping happily away. I think if she wants to be alone, there'll be no forcing her. But gentle encouragement to interract with the other two will never go amis
As I mentioned before, this has only started to happen recently and she's also becoming that bit more friendlier towards me.
She's been sleeping by herself all day in the flower pot, but she's now moved to the hammock with the other girls.
I know I can't force her to sleep etc with Roxy and Doris. Perhaps she just wants some alone time at the moment and have deep rattie thoughts, lol.
But I just don't like to see her alone - maybe I'm just to much of a protective mommy.

What gentle encouragment do you suggest? As I mentioned, I've brought them a new bed that upto 5 rats can fit in, so there's plenty of room in there for her.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I know it's not uncommon for them to go through 'phases' (as we do) where we don't want attention and just want a little 'me' time. Maybe she's just having a little alone time?

Gentle encouragement - Maybe try involve them all in a game? I always use 'babyfood fingers' as an intro game as it involves all the rats (or all that will play). Try putting them all on a bed (towel is usually required) or somewhere they can all run around easily, dip your fingers in something yummy (I use babyfood dessert) and run your hand upside down past them, around them etc. The idea is to get them to lick the babyfood off your fingers (I coat the tips of all 5 fingers) and chasing it around is a little group sport. 'Find the treat' is also another good one (I hide it behind teddybears on my bed and wait for them to scrabble over each other when one finds it) and generally, as much 'together time' outside the cage as you can manage. Especially if you get them out individually?

The bed is a very good idea - but if she decides she wants to be alone a bigger bed might not stop her from doing that.

Other than her deciding to be by herself - she's generally in good health? I know that rats that may be coming down with something generally back away from others and spend more time alone.

And something else I just thought of - you say you hold Dotty more than the other two? Maybe she's just decided that she doesn't need the other two when she's your favourite? I'm not sure how much relevance that will have, it just came to me. Perhaps others will have an opinion on that.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i have a loner rattie who is often sleeping on her own. i'll pick her up and put her wherever some of the other girls are sleeping, and she will, 99% of the time, snuggle with them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ration1802 said:
I know it's not uncommon for them to go through 'phases' (as we do) where we don't want attention and just want a little 'me' time. Maybe she's just having a little alone time?

Gentle encouragement - Maybe try involve them all in a game? I always use 'babyfood fingers' as an intro game as it involves all the rats (or all that will play). Try putting them all on a bed (towel is usually required) or somewhere they can all run around easily, dip your fingers in something yummy (I use babyfood dessert) and run your hand upside down past them, around them etc. The idea is to get them to lick the babyfood off your fingers (I coat the tips of all 5 fingers) and chasing it around is a little group sport. 'Find the treat' is also another good one (I hide it behind teddybears on my bed and wait for them to scrabble over each other when one finds it) and generally, as much 'together time' outside the cage as you can manage. Especially if you get them out individually?

The bed is a very good idea - but if she decides she wants to be alone a bigger bed might not stop her from doing that.

Other than her deciding to be by herself - she's generally in good health? I know that rats that may be coming down with something generally back away from others and spend more time alone.

And something else I just thought of - you say you hold Dotty more than the other two? Maybe she's just decided that she doesn't need the other two when she's your favourite? I'm not sure how much relevance that will have, it just came to me. Perhaps others will have an opinion on that.
I like the sound of the 'babyfood fingers' game, but knowing my girls, they'll actually grab my fingers and try running off with it :lol:
She has got a lump on her side - which I'm planning to have removed in the new year - but she's had that for awhile now.

The only reason I seem to get Dotty out more than the other girls is because she's always there and the easiest to get out. She does tend to come out with Roxy alot, Doris is more of a handful as she's an almighty jumper and hates me picking her up or taking her out of her cage.

She seems to be okay today actually, they've all been in their new igloo together and at the moment they are all snoozing in the flowerpot.
Perhaps she was just having one of those weeks where she wanted some alone time.
I really appreciate everybody's help :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts