Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of stuff on the Internet these past few days suggesting that rats live longer when they are on low-calorie diets. Is this true, and if so, what is your experience with this? I'd really like to keep my rats as healthy as possible and have them around as long as they can be. How do you go about it - do you feed less, or do you feed a certain type of lab block only, do mostly vegetables, etc? Do your/did your rats live longer than most on a calorie restricted diet? Mine are on Oxbow mouse and young rat food along with some treats and a mix of dried seeds and grains for rats. I let them have strawberries and grapes every couple of days, and at home they eat a lot of veggies.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's based on a study done in mice that showed they lived 40% longer than the normal lifespan if you don't feed them quite enough. It's what the whole fanatical calorie restriction in people movement is about. There's a review article here from 2003 http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.326.8099&rep=rep1&type=pdf
It's not something I personally agree with because an animal isn't choosing to do it. I feed a healthy balanced diet to my boys so they can enjoy life to the max. Calorie restriction may well extend lifespan but I'm of the opinion it limits quality of life.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It'd be like being on a very strict diet for your entire life and not having a say in it. IMO it'd be cruel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts