Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be bringing home a surrendered rat from Petco soon. Actually, a few rats it seems lol.

They have been housed seperately for a little more than a week in QT @ Petco due to being treated for a URI. None of them showed any symptoms ever of actually HAVING any respiratory distress, and it is my understanding that the reason that they are undergoing the treatment is because a rat in the vicinity of them had been diagnosed with a URI and this is all precautionary.

Now, since they have been seperated individually for a little more than a week (nearly 2,) should I factor that into when I am QT-ing them from mine at home? Or should I start over from scratch?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I personally would say start over, just to be on the safe side. The thing with pet stores in a situation like this is that yes, it sounds like at least one of the staff knows what they're doing in a case like this, but that doesn't mean they all do. For all you know someone on another shift handled every rat in the store, including those in QT, just a few hours before you pick them up to take them home. Better to be safe for all the rats involved... they'll be romping together soon enough, and the last thing you' want would be to make your current pets sick.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You'd still have to start over. There's no way of knowing who came in contact with the QTed rats, and whether or not those people had any contact with other rats.

It's always recommended to QT yourself, no matter where rats are coming from, even good breeders/rescues who QT themselves. I'd never trust a pet store's quarantine, because you just never know what's been going on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was such a dumb question and I can see that it was now.

I guess i just feel so badly for this BIIIGGGG squishy fella b/c he is just so lonely that you can see it in his eyes.

Well I guess he will have to settle for lots of scritches, kisses and treats from me until he can have a friend or a few!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I even advise our adopters to ALWAYS quarantine rats from us, even though we follow a strict protocol (as rescues are probably the most at-risk for SDA, Sendai and the like).

I'd also never trust a pet store. Was it a separate airspace, or just a seperate room? Either way, though, better safe then sorry!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts