Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I know what this answer is going to be :p But is QT (quarantine) still needed for rats from reputable rescues or reputable breeders?

Not even 100% sure I'm going to get these two lovies but I do think I might be able to set up a QT home if I try. It's just not 100% and if I do set up the home, it will be hard to go see them while they are being QTed ):

Just don't want to run any chances! I've not been able to do a proper QT in the past and with reading so many horror stories of SDA or Sendai I don't want to take any chances but still wanted to see others opinions on this subject.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and the rats I'm interested in adding >_>

Mom and

Son

Probably not going to adopt them if I don't get this better job and if the son is already adopted (or if he is I might just adopt the mom donno)

He reminds me of Joshu :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Technically, yes, I think QT is still needed.

However, that's up to you. If you feel that the rats are safe you could try the QT in home or somesuch....

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well i don't think that sda or sendai could make a variant that's different enough that it's undetectable in one population until introduced to another (i.e. i think that any mutation of sda or sendai would be noticed in the breeder population as well) but i think the qt is up to you. besides sda, there may be other "common colds" that the rats may bring into your home.

is momma rat missing the tip of her tail or is it just the way she's holding it in the pic? do you know how she lost it?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I just wanted to say that little boy with the heart on his back is absolutely ADORABLE! I would adopt him in a heartbeat if I could :D

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Ahh those are the HVRR lovelies!!

Yes I believe mom's tail was degloved by a former owner but its nicely healed now.

Kaia is very careful to QT, but if you are able its always smart to QT yourself even if the rats are from a reputable source. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked my friend, who has owned rats in the past and she said she would quarantine them. She doesn't own rats now, just a rabbit and a couple of dogs. I just worry they won't be spoiled as much over there as if I were with them, and I can't go over there everyday, probably just a few times a week at most ): But I told her I would come over to clean the cages and play and asked her to feed and water them daily and play whenever possible :D

Yes, just as lilspaz said, the girl has been degloved by her former owner. She is spayed and he is neutered so hopefully I will be able to put them in with Bert and Bastian (or Morgan and Hobbes, I'm sure ONE of those couple of rats will accept them)

Now just to get the job.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Speaking as both a rescue, and someone who knows Kaia pretty well and works often with HVRR (many of our current rescue kids are "overflow" from HVRR!), yes, QT's are very important.

Even though we follow strict procedures, diseases can still get into rescues.

They're so cute! :) Go for it if you can!! Many of my boys are from HVRR - Kaia rocks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts