Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm finally ready to get Pocky a new cage mate. the only issue I'm having is the quarantine. I don't have a seperate house to keep a rat in for two or three weeks that I would be able to drive to and see and bond every day. The closest would be my parents house an hour away and they have a dog that I would not trust around the new rat, and no free range spaces. There's not a breeder within any area near me so I'm going to a petco or petsmart to get another female that would be grown and about pocky's size. I've read tips for introduction and Pocky's pretty well bonded to me so I think i could keep a handle on it.

basically my question is: can I quarantine carefully in very separate rooms of the house? if not, could I possibly have the new rat tested at a vet for any symptoms and go right into introductions? or should I just see if my parents would be willing to quaratine and possibly take full responsibility for a new rat for three weeks?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've had to do quarantines in the house. Take a shower and change clothes if you've done out of cage time or spent a lot of time with the new rat. For just going in and doing food/water/pets-I kept a pair of slippers and clothes for just that room. Wash hands afterwards.

I used to use health guard from Revival animal when doing quarantines. Since it's very safe, I felt comfortable spraying things-like the bottoms of my shoes/slippers, floors and to use in the laundry.

There are things that last in the air for a long period of time, so there is always still a risk. But you can keep the risk fairly minimal.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
There are two theories of quarantine. The first is absolutely safer, full separate air space. This can be impractical though.
The second is used with varying degrees of success; limited exposure. On this, you minimize exposure through airways and vents, clear your nose and change clothes between visits and obviously wash your hands -- it's based around the idea of exposing children to lots of places builds stronger immune systems. I use this only making sure to treat the rat for parasites with revolution and picking healthy rats.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok. that'll definitely need to be something that I have to wait for a new cage for but that will hopefully be in the next few coming months. I want to get a critter nation to replace my rat manor. (doors are too dang tiny!) I think I might just see if my parents would watch the rat for me and work on socializing it a little when I can't go there myself. I really don't want to risk anything happening to Pocky!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts