Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adopting some boys from a rescue and a friend of mine (who does not currently have rats) wanted to too. If she took all 4 rats to her apartment (different house then mine) for three weeks would that be a suitable quarantine? The four rats will all come from the same place, and she has no other rats. After the three weeks I would bring my two home ( I like to get them in pairs so everyone has at least one friend) I'm 95% sure this is alright but I figured I'd ask anyway

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'd say it sounded fine. It sounds like you would be making every effort to ensure that not even airbourne contact is made with your rats.

Very wise.

Just remember to wash and/or change clothes if you handle your new ratties at your friends house.

I'm not an expert in QT, but I can't see there being a problem. :) Providing you can wait 3 weeks before getting your babies home lol

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sounds good to me too. I wouldn't see any problems with this, and your lucky friend essentially gets to "skip" quarantine and gets four rats to play with.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only problem I can really see is her falling in love with my babies!!!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Have you considered putting signs around their necks reminding her that they're coming home with you eventually? Lol something like "They're MINE! Mits off!" You know, just to keep her in check :D LOL

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, this is an acceptable quarantine though four or five weeks is actually ideal. As others have said make sure you wash and change clothes before going near your other rats. Blowing your nose is a good idea too (diseases can hitch a ride in our nasal passages) and a lot of people actually recommend you wait three hours before returning home at all since SDA and Sendai aren't viable outside a host for more than that period of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts