Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just have a question about recommended quarantine time? I always thought it was two weeks, any opinions on that?

The silly little hairless I have has been in QT for 6 days and doesn't seem to display any problems. His breathing is surprisingly good for the nastiness of the store he came from.

Also, no poryphin. What do you think?

·
Registered
520 Posts
So far, so good!

I do a two week QT, and before I move them together, I have the new rat in for a check up with the doctor. This may not be possible for everyone, I am just lucky that I work at a vet hospital.

I have heard that three weeks might be better, but my doctor said that as long as the exam is 100%, two is sufficiant.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Sparker, had to edit, didn't mean a week and a half, it's been almost a week. LoL, actually a big difference given the circumstances.

Anyhow, thanks for the input. I can take him in for a checkup, but I think I may wait the 3, just in case.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The absolute minimum quarantining for bringing rats in is 14 days. This covers the acquisition of new rats or the return of resident rats to the colony after exposure to other rats (shows, co-breeding, returned placements, etc.). When acquiring a new rat from a show, pet store, breeders, or rescue facilities, check it over for signs of illness first. This will help reduce the risk of exposure to your other rats.

This will be enough time to detect certain dangerous viruses (such as SDA and Sendai), obvious bacterial infections, ectoparasites (such as mites, fleas, and lice), and possibly internal parasites.

In general, a two-week quarantine will not alert one to asymptomatic viral infections such as parvo virus (including Kilham rat virus) or to persistent festering diseases such as CAR bacillus (Cilia Associated Respiratory).
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php

1 - 4 of 4 Posts