Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even if your new rattie seems healthy....wait the 2 weeks. I got a new baby boy...who seemed perfectly fine....and was not....he caused one other boy to have a resp. flare up....and i honestly didnt think he was gonna make it thru the night a few times....his breathing took a SUDDEN turn...weezing sneezing coughing...very tired and very slow...he lost a noticeable amount of weight...but thru home remedies, miraculously he has recovered....the new baby boy is sneezing...more than he should be....but will be fine given the same treatment as the larger male he got sick. I've lost a few days off my life just seeing my most treasured friend in so much distress. Their lives are so fragile and the fact that they cant say "hey lady...I dont feel so hot"...makes it that much easier for us unknowingly and unintentionally cause them pain. I never want to go thru anything like this with him again...I honestly dont know what i would do with out his company or his love. Please take special care when bringing a new rattie into your home and heart....

Even though he might not understand me i have to tell him im sorry everyday....

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thank you for posting this story :)

Just for the record, things I've read have said you should quarantine for 3 weeks instead of just two. I've heard such horror stories from people not quarantining!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Most of all germs incubate without show for 10 days. However, im sure many times once its 10 days, symptoms show, but arent noticed. So ideally 3 weeks is better for that reason

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Templeton gonna stay alone till he stops sneezing...plus hes really tiny and one of my boys is a fighting machine...im so worried to ever have them together again b/c of this...sad thing is Shoki really took to him...hes so sweet with the little ones. I would be very sad if i lost any of them but Shoki is my number one...im torn...ugh it really is like having children....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Four or five weeks is actually ideal. Two weeks is the bare minimum. I'm glad your home remedies seem to have helped xxpinkfunxx but a sick rat should really see a vet for much needed antibiotics in these cases. I'm glad you learned from this and I'm sorry it had to be a difficult lesson, I wish you and the fuzzies luck getting all better.

More on quarantining: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/rathealth.html#quarantine

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The new rat staying alone is no longer an issue since you have already brought him into the shared air space & introduced him to the other rats. Whats done is done.

The length of time for a proper quarantine is debatable. Some say 2 weeks & some say 3 months... just depends on who you ask. Plus keep in mind, some rat colonies are able to build up resistence to certain ickies & they can become carriers & never actually develop any symptoms. In these cases you can QT all you want & never know what is going on & it may not even be the new incoming rat that is a carrier. It could be the little buddy you already had that has something laying dormant. In these cases there really isn't a thing you can do outside of maybe having bloodwork done prior to bringing in a new rat. Not a practice many will be able to consider.

The point that has to be stressed is that to do a "proper quarantine", the new rat has to be housed at a different location & if you handle the rat you should not come into contact with your existing rats until at least 3 hours later &/or until after you have had a chance to shower & change clothes (also suggested: blow your nose)

So much of this is not talked about when people speak of QT. Putting a rat in a different cage for whatever amount a time you do so is not really preventing contamination since most of the icckies that rats can spread to one another are airborne.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a question. If I get two sister rats from a singular source (like a person with two rats that breed them and just have those two rats and their babies now) and I don't have any other rats, is it still neccessary for me to quarintine the two sisters from each other?
That's probably a stupid question but I want to make sure before I go try to do something that I shouldn't be doing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Akiko said:
I have a question. If I get two sister rats from a singular source (like a person with two rats that breed them and just have those two rats and their babies now) and I don't have any other rats, is it still neccessary for me to quarintine the two sisters from each other?
That's probably a stupid question but I want to make sure before I go try to do something that I shouldn't be doing.
Nope that won't be necessary :3

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Wait did you get the sisters at the same time? If not then quarrantine is still needed because you do not know wether ot not the person has gotten any new rats, been to a pet store, had some one over that has rats or anything else.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Stephanie said:
Wait did you get the sisters at the same time? If not then quarrantine is still needed because you do not know wether ot not the person has gotten any new rats, been to a pet store, had some one over that has rats or anything else.
That doesn't make sense.

If you have no rats at home, and you bring home a pair that have already been exposed to each other at the pet store separate QT is not necessary.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Stephanie said:
That's not necessary because Akiko does not have any other rats at home who could possibly be infected by the two new girls :3

Edit: I think I see what you mean now, but I believe Akiko was referring to getting them at the same time.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes what I meant was if Akiko went and got baby number 1 then two weeks later got baby number 2 in that two weeks she wouldn't know if baby number 2 had been exposed to another sick rat. Same way if I got one rat from a breeder and then I realized it needed a friend later and got from the same litter I would still need to do quarrantine just in case the breeder introduced any new rats to the rattery or someone with rats went to look at the same rat litter. Basically it is a safety precaution. You just don't know and quarrantine is always the best way to be sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts