Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a third rat girl. My brother in-law breeds rats as feeders for his snakes (awful, I know. But that's how we got the idea to have rats for pets in the first place). Anyway, one of his girl had a litter two weeks ago. About a dozen, all beautiful little creatures. I so badly want to save at least one of them from the snakes.

My question: if I observe them from birth and don't see any sign of illness, do I still have to keep her separate from my "old" girls when I bring her home?

·
Registered
527 Posts
yes, i believe you'd still have to do the quarantine..illness might appear after the stress of moving to a new home, so it's better to get her settled first.
but i'm not an expert, so i'll let other people answer your question! ;)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Actually I would consider their situation a little different than mine. Mine would apply if you were taking all 12 rats.

Either way, it seems to be generally accepted that you should always quarantine, no matter what.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, unfortunately, I can't take all 12...

But after reading the thread above, I'm thinking I probably already broke the quarantine. My son and I played and cuddled my brother-in-law's rats, then went home and played with ours. And I'm quite sure we didn't change our clothes, so...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
doing proper quarantine is good but you need to keep in mind that introductions can often go badly, especially with girls.

The older girls tend to make sport of bullying younger rats.

When you make your selection you might want to consider getting two rats from that litter, set up the second cage & hope for the best as for intros.

The reason I say two rats is in case it doesn't go well & you have to wait until the baby grows up in order to be better able to defend itself against aggression, at least you have two together as buddies rather than one solo all on it's own.

Most times intros go well but there is never any guarantee that it will so consider this while you are deciding the possibility of bringing in additional rats.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh man--two more rats!!! I'd so love to do that...let's see what my hubby says. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A1APassion said:
you need to keep in mind that introductions can often go badly, especially with girls... The older girls tend to make sport of bullying younger rats.
I agree that you never know how intros will go, but I disagree with the rest. As I mentioned in another thread, we just intro'ed 15 female rats (11 weeks - 2.5 years) into 2 groups (9 in one, 6 in the other) in 2 cages with no problems. One is spayed, the rest are not. Some are blood-related, some are not. Before, we had groups of 1, 1, 1, 3, 4 and 5... If I had a big enough cage, I'd love to house them all together. As it is, they will play together.

I've had a lot of problems with males and intros, as many have, but I've not heard many others have a hard time with females. In fact, I heard over and over before I ever had females that intros generally go much smoother. My experience as well says that females are SO much easier. We've had *no* bloodshed, *no* puffed-rats, no problems at all.

Just my 2 cents. As for adopting 2, though, I completely agree. It's nice to have a friend during quarantine, and also someone your own age. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts