Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am a beginner to rat ownership and am looking to keep two bucks. At present I am saving for and planning a habitat and putting together feeding and management plans with particular interest in non-commercial, homemade and nutritionally balanced diets with proven links to good health and longevity. I have just left college having studied Animal Management for two years, and am a second generation falconer. I have flown hawks for much of my life and have a twelve-year-old male Harris' Hawk. I have previously been unable to keep rats despite a lifelong passion ignited in my formative years but have kept a variety of animals, from Syrian Hamsters to farm livestock and owls.
Any advice, in particular relating to feeding, health and management, is very welcome.
Questing :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Your hawks sound wonderful and I'd love to hear more about them.

As for advice on keeping rats, it would take all day to write down everything, lol. . . your best bet is just to start reading the forum posts. Start with the stickies under each heading such as food, housing, behavior, etc, it will give you a good base reference and then you can inquire with specifics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Minky! I've already been doing a lot of reading. Really enjoying doing my research and looking forward to giving my future rats the best life I can!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
arnie 059.jpg
The man himself this morning. He's moulting at present and at this moment he's sat in the sun barking at a Common Buzzard over his flight. At twelve he is getting rather desperate for a girlfriend.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome! What a handsome bird you have there! (please keep him away from my pigeons lol)

There's a lot of info in the sticks of this forum, and you also have the rat guide, which is an amazing site with information about almost every aspect of having rats.

I spent days reading about rats, and I still read everyday. I usually google anything that goes through my head when thinking about rats and investigate it.

I am new to having rats myself, but so far I feel prepared for everything that's coming! Except that Sake peed on my bed yesterday, she had never done that. Keep in mind that rats are little brats haha

I am pretty sure you are gonna love rats. I am still impressed that rats are so cuddly and lovely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts