Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the idea of these cages, they look amazing....

My question is.. I would only have 2 boys in it (no question of GMR).. could I get away with just buying the 'extension'?? I don't really need the shelf/wheels...

Does the 'extender' model have a full base? Would it work, stand alone?

Thanks,
-Gen

·
Registered
981 Posts
Now I don't know for 100% certainty, but I'd say it *should* work. However, the extension (I believe) has a a hole in one corner that is meant to go down to another level. The hole does have a ramp that you can seal closed, but it may not sit flat on a table or something. Also, you'd probably want to cover that hole with something (In which case you can remove the ramp and it will sit flat).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think the extension is just the side walls and the ramp and the ramp-base. Since it's meant to be an extension, the top part should be with the cage you're extending.

Hence, you'd have no bottom or no top, depending on how you'd set it up, I'd figure.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I thought the two floor model was essentially the one floor model plus extension model? Well, now that I think about it I think you're right. I think the litter pan of the top level just sits on the top of the bottom level. I'll check when I get home.

I think it might still work if you plan on setting it on a table or desk that is large enough to hold it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Right, the 2 is the one plus an extension, but there's the one shared 'wall' that likely comes with the one level, not the extension. :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The extension is just the sides, and the bottom floor with the hole in the corner to connect them, plus shelf and ramps. It doesn't come with a top of it's own (or a real bottom) because it's meant to go on the 141, which already has a top, so that just gets moved up to the top of the extension.

I know, because I was thinking about just getting the add-on as well, when I only had a few rats. But you'd have to get at least the 141. Although I suppose if you had to cover the cage with hardware cloth, you could just use that as the top, since it would need to be covered anyway. You'd have to find some way to cover the bottom of the cage and the hole in the bottom pan.

I guess it would work, if you covered the top of the cage with hardware cloth. Although you'd have to make sure you put the cage on top of something with wheels so you can still move it around to sweep up around the cage. FNs are very heavy!

In any case, especially if you have boys and won't need to cover it in the first place, I'd recommend the 141, just to save hassle. I didn't need the wheels or shelf either, but now that I have them, I love them ^_^

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool, thank you guys... the 141 isn't that much more, so I think I'll try and go with it...

Of course, they'll have to have a temporary home while I save up for the FN, but the brothers I'm eyeing are still small, so that's no biggie (I have my old hedgehog run.. it's perfect.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts