Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few days ago I asked about CareFresh. While my girls are not having issues, I am.
The smell is a little to strong, causing me to wheeze making it difficult to breathe (I have asthma)

So my next thing to try is fleece, though I would have to wait till the bag of care fresh is gone.

My question is, with fleece. Before using it, is there a special way to prepare it?
Doing research on doing fleece bedding a couple years ago when I had guinea pigs, I found something saying that the fleece had to be washed X amount of times. I am not 100% sure if that was right or not (I ended up not doing it and stuck with aspen)

I know to put another absorbent thing under it. I was planning on using towels, going to get some to specifically put aside for that.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I heard that washing it helped it wick away any liquid so i washed mine once. I also use towels but i just use my old beach towels and cut them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have one beach towel, it's my favorite XD

At walmart they have a pack (of 10 i think, maybe 6) of dish clothes for $3. Figured I could get a few packs of those.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wash my fleece twice with vinegar and a TINY amount of the clear scent free Tide. Cut with 2 inches on each side, and put a layer of Uhaul furniture pad underneath. You can check Uhaul's website for availability at one of their stores near you. But when I go in I always request the used ones they're going to throw away. They sell them to be for CHEAP!! that will be your absorbent layer. I wash once a week

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!. I will check them out. There is only 2 Uhauls by me, or least close enough that i can drive too...Im probably going to do towels, or bed pad things (the reusable kind, i got a couple those around somewhere )

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have fleece in my DCN. I have been using and experimenting with it for several months now. At first I cut some blankets, and used covers I bought on Etsy, but I never pre-washed them.

Then, somewhere along the way I found this article about fleece from guinea pig forum (referenced above). When I got new fleece, I followed the directions, and washed everything 3 times with non-scented washing liquid, no softeners, and dried on medium. And under the fleece I started placing terry bath towels.

There is only one take away from this: it stinks! No matter if there is a second layer under the fleece or not, it takes at best 2 days for it to start smelling of pee. But typically it takes just one day. The washing 3 times was supposed to make fleece wick away liquids (ie. urine), but that is not the case. Every time rats pee, there will form a convex meniscus and it will remain on the fleece surface for quite some time if not disturbed (many, many minutes).

I still use fleece, and will probably go on with it, but I have to change it often, and wipe the shelves with clorox and cage cleaner at every such change (that's every other day). Some moths ago I used to read posts about how people change fleece in their cages daily, and I did not want to believe. But it turns out to be the case. You would have to do some number crunching to see what is more economical: buy lots of non-reusable paper bedding, and replace it less frequently, or buy reusable fleece but wash and dry it. And btw. you can get really cheap fleece by the yard at some stores. I got mine at JoAnn Fabrics online store at $2.50/yard. There was little selection as far as patterns and colors, but for such price you can't complain.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I go to JoAnn's for all my fleece stuff, sometimes hobby lobby (I practically live there hahah ;) )

The daily wipe down doesn't bother me. Neither does changing it daily if I gotta do that. I would just buy enough to be able to rotate out.

Only downside I have right now for fleece is washing. Our washer is broken, so we have been going to my mom's to do our stuff once maybe twice a week. But I'm just going to get enough to make enough bedding piece's so I can switch out so they will always have a clean one.

Doing that way would be better on us economically than buying bedding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts