Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two skittish boys that I've had for about 2 weeks. I put their cage on a little table same level as my bed, put it against the side of my bed so when I open the cage door they can just walk on to my bed and thats where they have their outside time. My question is when they come out of the cage should I move the cage so they don't have a place to run away to every time or is that not something to do? Their just not ok with me touching them petting them or picking them up. The bigger one which is the alpha is more outgoing but he still bugs a lil when I pick him up. Thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rats by nature don't like large of open spaces in fare they'll be grabbed by a predator. This may also make them skittish when you grab them from above with hand, so encourage them out with treats with your hand at their level, and slowly build up their confidence with you and their new home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I think you misunderstood. Yes they are skittish but they love my bed. I'm just asking if I should sometimes move the cage away. And I try to never pick up from above.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I'm sorry that was my fault I didnt say anything about them liking my bed lol yes they love going under my covers and stuff lol

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes, you might want to move the cage out of their reach at least until they bond to you enough not to just run back to it while you want them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts