Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my first baby rat. She is probably about 6 weeks now. I've never had a baby rat before so I need to ask this...

When we play with little Gizzard, she starts running around REALLY fast... she sprints around the bed like a greyhound and pops straight up in the air. She does that after you tickle her. Basically, she'll climb up on you, kiss you, cuddle, and then if you tickle her - ZOOM! There she goes! Running, hopping, and bopping!

I am just curious if that is happiness or are we scaring her in some way. How can you tell a baby rat is happy?

Bonus question - I want to litter train her but the only place she poops is on top of her house. Do I put the litter box up there or just start moving poops to the box?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sounds normal to me, our babies have always been crazy, especially around that age. She's probably just popcorning. I'd soak it up while you can, all of ours that did it as babies so far have grown out of it. If she runs out in the open and comes back to you I would say she is happy, not scared. Any time I've seen ours get scared they bolt and hide, not run around.

No help for the litter box question I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow... I didn't know rats popcorned. I thought only guinea pigs did that.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You can keep moving the turds to the litter box. Placed where you want, but not on the same level as the food bowl. After afew weeks, your rattie should clue in as to where you want her to crap. ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes rats popcorn, they jump around like crazy. It's very common in babies and usually they grow out of it when they get older. you could see videos of it on youtube. My adult boy who is very hyper even does it when he is really wound up. I know what you mean by wondering whether you did something wrong cuz when he gets really hyper like that he will do it when I pet him. I'll pet him or try to pick him up and cuddle him and he just jumps all around like crazy and it kind of makes you wonder whether he is upset with you. But don't worry because it is just something they do when they have a lot of energy. It's pretty cute actually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.