Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

We currently have two girls aged 8 and 7 weeks. We will be getting two more (a mother and her baby) in two weeks.
When we get them the old ones will be 10 and 9 weeks and the new ones will be 5 1/2 weeks and 11 months).
Today I read a post that stated that it is not really safe to introduce babies under 12 weeks to an adult.

Has anyone of you ever done an introduction similar to ours?

The adult (Gucci) just had a litter and one of her babies will come with her to us. She also took care of a second litter because the mother did not produce enough milk.
According to the breeder Gucci is a very friendly and layed-back girl. I have seen her but since she had tiny babies at that time I was obviously not able to interact with her.
We have a cage that is very similar to the Critter Nation so we would be able to separate them into two groups.

Do you think it would be best to wait until the first girls are 13 and 12 weeks? Gucci and the baby come from the same breeder as our other girls and I trust her so we don't really think that we need to quarantine them before introduction.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd say do the cage separation for a little while, but also give everyone introductory time - Neutral playground to meet and greet often. Depending on how that goes, it could speed up or slow down the full grouping.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally I didn't wait. By the time the older pair are 12/13 weeks old, they might not take to the baby that comes with her mother as well and the mother might see them as a threat to her baby. I introduced my five week old babies to Mamma and her pups when they were a little more than two weeks old because I didn't want to take that risk(I also spent more than an hour watching over everyone to make sure that these introductions would go smoothly). Mamma took one look at the older pair and claimed them as her little ones. They sleep in the nest with Mamma and the pups and actually seem to have formed quite a bond with the little ones as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your answers!
I guess we will give it a shot and then play it by ear. I really hope they will work out together :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts