Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My boy Grenn has had a rough go of it since I brought him home on April 4th. The person I got him from said he was 7-8 weeks old at the time, which would make him about 3-3.5 months old right now. Since I got him, he's had a skin problem (one vet [who we will never ever see again and who I'm cautioning everyone I know to avoid] said he saw "a little bacteria" and put him on a steroid spray), pneumonia, ringworm, and currently a head tilt. He's being treated for an ear infection and while the tilt isn't getting much (if any) better, he seems to be feeling alright anyway (eats like a pig!). I was looking at his eyes last night (it looked like one was a bit bulgy, but I'm still not sure if it's actually bulgy or if the other is sinking...or if they're the same and I'm losing my mind). I shined a flashlight on them so I could get a better look and noticed what looks like discoloration around the pupil. This might just be what their eyes look like normally (am I seeing an iris that I never bothered to look closely enough at before?) - I'm not entirely sure. But with all of his other health problems, I figured better safe than sorry, so here I am! The discoloration just looks like a darker red, but it's not round with a smooth border - rather, it looks like someone stained his eyes with a drop of red ink. If it was one eye, I'd be super worried. As it is, I'm just confused and worried that I should be worrying. And wondering if I'm the only one that sees this! I don't recall seeing this kind of thing with Renly my himi - his eyes were always just...pink. If this is something to worry about, I'll have him back (for the fifth time!) at our new vet who we like very much (and who is becoming rather familiar with us...haha).

Anyway, I can't figure out how to attach a picture (keeps telling me my URL is invalid...) so here are links.

Picture 1
Picture 2

Do all rat eyes look like this when you get really close and shine a light in them? Or should I be worried that this mean's something is wrong, or that the ear infection is something else? I tried googling pictures of PEW's eyes, but most aren't clear enough for me to see if they all have this or if it's just my boy...

·
Registered
455 Posts
To me the second picture doesn't look quite right but I've never had a PEW before.. Only ruby eyes and black eyes and none of them have that cloud around the pupil.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Other than that it just looks like an eye to me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts