Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls have been on Oxbow Mouse & Young Rat since I got them when they were 4 weeks old. Just this past week, I decided to switch them to the Harlan Teklad blocks.

I've noticed that their poops have gotten a lot lighter in color. They used to be dark brown, almost black. Now they are light brown, almost tan colored. It seems so odd. Obviously, it's got to be from a change in their food, but do you think it's anything to worry about? Are they digesting this new food properly? If any of you have your babies on the Teklad blocks, please let me know if this is a normal color poo for eating this food.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Could be a permanent change caused by the type of the food as it sounds from pawsandclaws but it is definitely also very normal for them to have a little bit of tummy trouble when you switch foods for the first week or so. They can get diarrhea and stuff so their poo could still change a little once they are fully adjusted to the new food. If it is just a matter of color though, and not really an issue of consistency where they seem to be not feeling well it probably is just a matter of brand. My rats poo will change color occasionally even from certain treats if I give them too much of something.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is normal. Very light brown on HT/Native Earth and quite dark on Oxbow.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure since it was such a drastic change. Plus, I've got one girl currently on antibiotics for an intestinal infection (clostridium) which we're a week in and her diarrhea has stopped. So I just needed to double check this was normal.

I had actually bought the wrong HT awhile back (14% protein) which is why I hadn't been feeding it to them. I was just saving it until they got older. I made the mistake of letting them taste it and now they won't touch the Oxbow. So I had to get some of the 18% HT for them since they're already hooked. My vet told me to keep them on the higher protein as long as they are still growing, so I figure we've still got a couple more months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts